Bay Area Healthcare Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Oakland, California. Sporting an overall grade of A-, this facility is ranked among the better nursing homes we assessed. We really couldn't find many negative things to say about this place. Its grades are impeccable. The best part of this facility's strong report card is its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bay Area Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Oakland senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its favorable overall grade, we gave this facility an A+ for our inspections rating. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite minor. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A couple relatively minor deficiencies are not something to panic about.
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A-. Nursing grades are mostly associated with a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving residents even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about Bay Area Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed was long-term care. This facility was awarded a favorable long-term care score, with a B+ in this area. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are kept in good health. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccines. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. This is a great way to minimize negative health outcomes for the aged 65 and up population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the last area, this facility was given an excellent short-term care score. Although this is not nearly as impressive as several of its other grades, this remains one of our stronger grades we offer. Short-term care grades are typically used to grade a facility's rehabilitation services. To offer quality rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must provide better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bay Area Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bay Area Healthcare Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bay Area Healthcare Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of long-term patients which sustained falls resulting in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bay Area Healthcare Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bay Area Healthcare Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bay Area Healthcare Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bay Area Healthcare Center, 5.83% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bay Area Healthcare Center, 95.65% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bay Area Healthcare Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bay Area Healthcare Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bay Area Healthcare Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Oakland, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Oakland, California has 7 other nursing homes
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.82 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.05 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 2.12 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.25 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 3.2 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 4.33 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 7.49 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.02 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Rai - East Bay - Oakland1.51 miles away2628 International Blvd, Ste 100 Oakland California 94601CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 261-8219
- Rai Peralta1.98 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland2.2 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Rai Piedmont3.09 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Oakland Dialysis Center3.25 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104
- Alameda County Dialysis Center3.69 miles away10700 Macarthur Blvd. Building 7 Oakland California 94605CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 568-5849
- Wellbound of Emeryville4.34 miles away2000 Powell Street Suite 140 Emeryville California 94608Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 985-9660
- Berkeley Dialysis Center4.72 miles away2655 Shattuck Ave Berkeley California 94704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (510) 486-8706