With an address in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Baldwin Health Center is just one of 29 nursing homes located in the city. Our grading scheme was not very kind to this nursing home, as we gave it an overall rating of F. This facility does not seem to have much going for it. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is nursing, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Baldwin Health Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
We didn't have any positive things to say about this nursing home's overall grade or its category grades. Its best category is nursing. Nevertheless, with a D in this area, it still performed relatively poorly. Our nursing score includes quite a few datapoints, but the paramount consideration is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This place provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is slightly below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these datapoints to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
This place earned just a D in the area of inspections. Sadly, this ended up being its second best score. Our inspection scores weigh many items found on the facility's recent inspection reports. If you see severe deficiencies on the reports, this is typically the worst sign. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to the well being of residents. This facility was assessed 5 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they created a risk to patient safety or health. Finally, we want to point out that this place received significant government fines totaling over $100,000. This often means that a poor performance has been an issue for multiple years.
Does this page answer your questions about Baldwin Health Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we gave this nursing home an F in the area of short-term care. In crafting these short-term care scores, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to formulate a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Given its abysmal rating in this area, we weren't shocked to learn this facility offers significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most nursing homes. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed was long-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F for this category, which is a very poor score. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in long-term care it is typically a bad sign for patient care and it may indicate that the nursing home is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. We were a bit concerned this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to just 62 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Baldwin Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Baldwin Health Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Baldwin Health Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Baldwin Health Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Baldwin Health Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Baldwin Health Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Baldwin Health Center, 3.12% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Baldwin Health Center, 88.22% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Baldwin Health Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Baldwin Health Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels.
In Baldwin Health Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Baldwin Health Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Baldwin Health Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Baldwin Health Center, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Pittsburgh, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has 28 other nursing homes
- Jefferson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.56 miles away565 Coal Valley Road Clairton Pennsylvania 15025Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 469-5000
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 4.9 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- St Clair HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.5 miles away1000 Bower Hill Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15243Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 942-4000
- Upmc MckeesportAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away1500 Fifth Avenue Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15132Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 664-2000
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.55 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.72 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Davita - Jefferson Dialysis1.72 miles away14 Clairton Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15236Dialysis Stations: 17 (412) 653-6007
- Fresenius Kidney Care - South Hills3.38 miles away4651 Library Road Bethel Park Pennsylvania 15102Dialysis Stations: 18 (412) 835-1229
- Davita - Homestead Dialysis3.74 miles away207 West 7th Avenue Homestead Pennsylvania 15120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 476-8700
- Davita - Bethel Park4.55 miles away6000 Alicia Drive Bethel Park Pennsylvania 15102Dialysis Stations: 4 (412) 833-2612
- Liberty Dialysis - Banksville4.75 miles away2875 Banksville Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (412) 343-3060
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Banksville4.77 miles away2727 Banksville Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15216CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (412) 341-7410
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Oakland4.94 miles away3260 Fifth Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Dialysis Stations: 30 (412) 647-3700
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Three Rivers5.09 miles away1401 Forbes Avenue, Suite 250 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 281-8233