Avantara Long Grove is a large facility located in Lake Zurich, Illinois. This turns out to be a highly rated facility, with an overall grade of B+. Based on our ratings, you could do much worse than this place. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home did not have any bad scores in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Avantara Long Grove
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Lake Zurich senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this facility performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This particular nursing home received 10 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a grade of A- for our long-term care grade. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are well cared for. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 99.83305 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Avantara Long Grove?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility is also above average in the area of short-term care, where it was awarded a score of B+. It performed more favorably than most nursing homes in this area. In determining these short-term care scores, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to devise a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
The last area we assessed is nursing. We gave this facility an acceptable grade in that category, with a grade of B-. While this isn't as dominant as a few of this nursing home's other grades, it is still not a terrible score. We scrutinized the skill-level of nurses employed by the facility, as well as the number of hours the nurses worked with patients, in calculating our grade in this area. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avantara Long Grove Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avantara Long Grove, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avantara Long Grove, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avantara Long Grove, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avantara Long Grove, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avantara Long Grove, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients which were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are generally given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avantara Long Grove, 31.81% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avantara Long Grove, 87.05% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avantara Long Grove, 13.3% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avantara Long Grove, 14.44% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Avantara Long Grove, 1.92 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avantara Long Grove, 14.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avantara Long Grove, 13.66 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avantara Long Grove, 69.52% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 6.54 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Advocate Condell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away801 S Milwaukee Ave Libertyville Illinois 60048Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 362-2900
- Northwestern Lake Forest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.18 miles away1000 N Westmoreland Road Lake Forest Illinois 60045Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 234-5600
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.95 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 10.99 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.06 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 13.61 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- Davita - Buffalo Grove Dialysis1.53 miles away1291 West Dundee Road Buffalo Grove Illinois 60089CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 253-9400
- Fmc - Palatine Dialysis Center2.56 miles away691 East Dundee Road Palatine Illinois 60074CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (847) 963-4299
- Davita - Lake County Dialysis Services Inc4.98 miles away565 Lakeview Pkwy Ste 176 Vernon Hills Illinois 60061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (847) 918-0592
- Fmc - Rolling Meadows5.49 miles away4180 Winnetka Ave. Rolling Meadows Illinois 60008CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (847) 394-6250
- Fmc - Mundelein5.53 miles away1402 Townline Road Mundelein Illinois 60060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 949-3904
- Fmc - Deerfield Dialysis Center7.61 miles away405 Lake Cook Rd. Suite a13 Deerfield Illinois 60015Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 559-0374
- Davita - Arlington Heights Dialysis7.61 miles away17 W Golf Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 437-2188
- Fmc - Mount Prospect7.81 miles away1710 West Golf Road Mount Prospect Illinois 60056Dialysis Stations: 8 (847) 640-7101