Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma is located in the large metropolitan area of Tacoma, Washington which has a total of 322,873 people. Featuring an overall rating of C, this is likely a decent nursing home. Based on our analysis, this facility likely wouldn't be a bad choice. This facility is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
7411 Pacific Avenue,
Tacoma WA 98408
23.93% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an elite nursing grade. In fact, we gave this facility a grade of A-. Our nursing rating analyzes the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the number of hours spent with residents. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second most favorable area was short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a C. With our short-term care assessment, we attempt to create a sound barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we look at the facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its level of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the number of patients who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma?
Next we looked at this facility's inspection rating This score is based on the facility's recent inspections. We gave it a C in this category. This is basically a middle of the pack score in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection grades. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some can be relatively minor. This facility was hit with 9 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but none were in categories G through L. This indicates this facility dodged the more significant categories of deficiencies. We did not consider anything on this place's inspection report to be overly concerning.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the last category, this facility was given a grade of C for long-term care, which we consider to be a respectable rating. For patients in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. We were pleased to learn that this facility vaccinated 99.18033 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma, 7.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma, 2.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma, 2.28% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care residents which had UTI's. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma, 13.8% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients who are administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma, 12.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma, 13.74% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma, 93.71% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma, 13.94% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma, 21.78% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels. Some experts argue that mobility is critical to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma, 1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma, 21.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma, 10.98 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avamere Heritage Rehabilitation of Tacoma, 74.42% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Tacoma, WA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Tacoma, Washington has 9 other nursing homes
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 627-4101
- St Clare HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away11315 Bridgeport Way S W Lakewood Washington 98499Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 588-1711
- Multicare Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.78 miles away401 15th Avenue Se Puyallup Washington 98372Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 697-2102
- Madigan Amc (Ft Lewis)Acute Care - Department of Defense 7.79 miles away9040 Jackson Avenue Tacoma Washington 98431Department of Defense(253) 968-1110
- St Francis Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.82 miles away34515 9th Avenue South Federal Way Washington 98003Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 944-8100
- Multicare Auburn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.65 miles away202 North Division Street Plaza One Auburn Washington 98001Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 833-7711
- St Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.85 miles away11567 Canterwood Boulevard Nw Gig Harbor Washington 98332Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 530-2050
- Highline Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.13 miles away16251 Sylvester Road Sw Seattle Washington 98166Voluntary non-profit - Private(206) 244-9970
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.1.15 miles away1415 E 72nd St Tacoma Washington 98404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (253) 474-2310
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.1.64 miles away5825 Tacoma Mall Blvd Ste 103 Tacoma Washington 98409CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (253) 671-9937
- Parkland Dialysis Center2.62 miles away311 140th St S Tacoma Washington 98444CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (253) 536-5961
- Lakewood Community Dialysis Center4.04 miles away5919 Lakewood Towne Center Blvd Sw #A Lakewood Washington 98499CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (253) 512-2400
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.4.05 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Dialysis Stations: 20 (253) 627-1995
- Tacoma Dialysis Center4.33 miles away3401 S 19th St Tacoma Washington 98405CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (253) 573-1600
- Rainier View Dialysis Center4.49 miles away1822 112th St East Suite A Tacoma Washington 98445CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (253) 539-5659
- Nkc Fife Kidney Center5.65 miles away6021 12th Street E, Suite 110 Tacoma Washington 98424Dialysis Stations: 10 (253) 943-6335