Avalon Nursing Home is a small facility located in Warwick, Rhode Island. This facility received an A- overall, which is a high-end grade. You really can not do any better than this facility. This nursing home's strong profile was highlighted by its nursing score, which you can find in the next section.
Avalon Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category. Our nursing rating is mostly associated with the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Among its many elite scores, this nursing home was awarded a strong short-term care score. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- in that area. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon Nursing Home?
Tallying another strong category grade, this nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Our inspection ratings are tied to pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this area have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we scored is long-term care, where this facility was awarded a B. While this ended up being its weakest category grade, this is still a good grade. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon Nursing Home, 7.49% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon Nursing Home, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents which experienced falls which caused severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon Nursing Home, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents which suffered from a urinary tract infection. While more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon Nursing Home, 17.89% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon Nursing Home, 15.01% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon Nursing Home, 2.58% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon Nursing Home, 94.38% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon Nursing Home, 16.46% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon Nursing Home, 20.63% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon Nursing Home, 20.63 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Warwick, RI
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Warwick, Rhode Island has 5 other nursing homes
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 5.18 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.33 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 6.6 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.53 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.33 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.38 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.9 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Fresenius Medical Care of Warwick3.91 miles away2814 Post Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (401) 738-4050
- Dialysis Center of Providence6.55 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital6.55 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- Dialysis Center of West Warwick6.59 miles away1775 Bald Hill Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (401) 823-8420
- Dialysis Center of East Providence6.84 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital6.86 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Nna of Providence8.84 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Dialysis Center of Johnston9.89 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400