Avalon Nursing Home is a small facility located in Warwick, Rhode Island. This facility received an A- overall, which is a high-end grade. You really can not do any better than this facility. This nursing home's strong profile was highlighted by its nursing score, which you can find in the next section.
Avalon Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
57 Stokes Street,
Warwick RI 02889
100.96% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ for nursing. Our nursing rating is mostly associated with the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
In addition, this nursing home also earned a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that category with an A-. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some can be quite insignificant. This facility was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to resident health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon Nursing Home?
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its fine assessment, this facility also was given a strong short-term care grade, with a grade of A-. Our short-term care scores are thought to be most important for those in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. This includes not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we rated was long-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a B+. This finished off a very impressive profile. Very few nursing homes received a B+ or higher in every single category. When nursing homes receive this type of score in this category it is a good sign for patient care and indicates that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the data points we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccines. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a great way to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the aged 65 and up population. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon Nursing Home, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon Nursing Home, 4.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which sustained falls which caused major injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon Nursing Home, 2.86% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this statistic can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon Nursing Home, 19.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon Nursing Home, 15.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon Nursing Home, 2.02% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon Nursing Home, 93.99% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon Nursing Home, 16.08% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon Nursing Home, 17.13% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon Nursing Home, 17.13 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 5.18 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.33 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 6.6 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.53 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.33 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.38 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.9 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Fresenius Medical Care of Warwick3.91 miles away2814 Post Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (401) 738-4050
- Dialysis Center of Providence6.55 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital6.55 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- Dialysis Center of West Warwick6.59 miles away1775 Bald Hill Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (401) 823-8420
- Dialysis Center of East Providence6.84 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital6.86 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Nna of Providence8.84 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Dialysis Center of Johnston9.89 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400