Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation is an average-sized nursing home located in Schertz, Texas. This nursing home received an extremely poor overall grade based on the data we assessed. At the end of the day, you'd be better off to avoid of this place. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category is inspections, which is discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Schertz senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. Nursing ratings are based in large part on quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day, which is well below average. Lastly, our nursing ratings also factor in quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically an indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Does this page answer your questions about Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second lowest category is long-term care, where it earned a grade of just D in that area. This is a well below average grade. If you are looking for anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care ratings. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 94.618835 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we graded is short-term care, in which this nursing home received a rock bottom score in this area also. We gave it a lowly F in this category, which is obviously very concerning. In our short-term care grade, we endeavor to forge a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess a nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar metrics was damning for this nursing home's short-term care score.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 4.84% of Patients
This is the percent of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. High levels of depression could be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 93.69% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 1.89 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Brooke Army Medical Center (Ft Sam Houston)Acute Care - Department of Defense 12.44 miles away3551 Roger Brooke Drive San Antonio Texas 78234Department of Defense(210) 916-4141
- Baptist Emergency HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.52 miles away16088 San Pedro San Antonio Texas 78232Proprietary(210) 402-4092
- Methodist Stone Oak HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.76 miles away1139 E Sonterra Blvd, Ste 535 San Antonio Texas 78258Proprietary(210) 638-2100
- South Texas Spine and Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.92 miles away18600 North Hardy Oak Blvd San Antonio Texas 78258Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 404-0800
- Resolute Health HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.11 miles away555 Creekside Xing, New Braunfels Texas 78130Proprietary(469) 839-6778
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.15 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Nix Health Care SystemAcute Care Hospitals 17.32 miles away414 Navarro, Suite 600 San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 271-2188
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 17.61 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Rsa Schertz1.11 miles away5000 Baptist Health Dr Suite 124 Schertz Texas 78154Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 659-6070
- Fmc - Village Oaks Kidney Disease Clinc5.19 miles away11701 Toepperwein Rd San Antonio Texas 78233CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (210) 655-4005
- Live Oak Dialysis5.81 miles away6700 Randolph Blvd Suite 101 San Antonio Texas 78233CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 590-0103
- Sakdc Davita Dialysis Partners Lp6.03 miles away15619 Nacogdoches Rd San Antonio Texas 78247Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 653-9579
- Marymount Dialysis Center10.27 miles away2391 Ne Loop 410 Suite #211 San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 646-8788
- New Braunfels Kidney Disease Clinic11.18 miles away1561 Ih 35 North New Braunfels Texas 78130Dialysis Stations: 18 (830) 606-0333
- Kirby Kidney Disease Center11.79 miles away4653 Binz Engleman Road Suite #2 San Antonio Texas 78219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (210) 661-0201
- New Braunfels Dialysis11.93 miles away798 Generations Drive New Braunfels Texas 78130CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (830) 629-2848