Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation is an average-sized nursing home located in Schertz, Texas. This nursing home received an extremely poor overall grade based on the data we assessed. Unfortunately, the city grade for Schertz isn't too much better. Nevertheless, you still should be able to do better Even though this place received a single reasonable category grade for nursing, which you can find more information about below.
Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this nursing home extremely poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable nursing rating this year. We gave it a C in that category. Our nursing grade assesses the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the number of hours spent with residents. This particular nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This figure is far below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home actually fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In fact, it scored well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Among this facility's alarming category grades was an F for its inspection grade. More often than not, this means we found some red flags on the facility's inspection reports. With places that received this bad of an inspection rating, we recommend scrutinizing the severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This particular nursing home was assessed 4 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, we want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines totaling over $100,000. This generally means that a facility'spoor performance spanned more than one year.
Does this page answer your questions about Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at was long-term care. This nursing home's received a rock-bottom long-term care score where it received a lowly F. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in this category may not provide the type of consistent around the clock care that some other nursing homes offer. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We discovered that this nursing home provided the vaccine to only 88.44444 percent of its patients, which is not a very encouraging sign. To our surprise, this facility was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we graded is short-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it a lowly F in this area, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. Short-term care grades are generally employed to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To offer high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have higher levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Considering its score in this category, we were not stunned to learn that this facility is well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its patients based on the data we assessed. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care. More supervision can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 4.81% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 94.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Some would argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Autumn Winds Living & Rehabilitation, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
- Brooke Army Medical Center (Ft Sam Houston)Acute Care - Department of Defense 12.44 miles away3551 Roger Brooke Drive San Antonio Texas 78234Department of Defense(210) 916-4141
- Baptist Emergency HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.52 miles away16088 San Pedro San Antonio Texas 78232Proprietary(210) 402-4092
- Methodist Stone Oak HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.76 miles away1139 E Sonterra Blvd, Ste 535 San Antonio Texas 78258Proprietary(210) 638-2100
- South Texas Spine and Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.92 miles away18600 North Hardy Oak Blvd San Antonio Texas 78258Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 404-0800
- Resolute Health HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.11 miles away555 Creekside Xing, New Braunfels Texas 78130Proprietary(469) 839-6778
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.15 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Nix Health Care SystemAcute Care Hospitals 17.32 miles away414 Navarro, Suite 600 San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 271-2188
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 17.61 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Rsa Schertz1.11 miles away5000 Baptist Health Dr Suite 124 Schertz Texas 78154Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 659-6070
- Fmc - Village Oaks Kidney Disease Clinc5.19 miles away11701 Toepperwein Rd San Antonio Texas 78233CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (210) 655-4005
- Live Oak Dialysis5.81 miles away6700 Randolph Blvd Suite 101 San Antonio Texas 78233CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 590-0103
- Sakdc Davita Dialysis Partners Lp6.03 miles away15619 Nacogdoches Rd San Antonio Texas 78247Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 653-9579
- Marymount Dialysis Center10.27 miles away2391 Ne Loop 410 Suite #211 San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 646-8788
- New Braunfels Kidney Disease Clinic11.18 miles away1561 Ih 35 North New Braunfels Texas 78130Dialysis Stations: 18 (830) 606-0333
- Kirby Kidney Disease Center11.79 miles away4653 Binz Engleman Road Suite #2 San Antonio Texas 78219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (210) 661-0201
- New Braunfels Dialysis11.93 miles away798 Generations Drive New Braunfels Texas 78130CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (830) 629-2848