Autumn Care of Portsmouth is an average-sized nursing home located in Portsmouth, Virginia. Sporting an overall grade of C, this is likely a decent facility. With no A rated nursing homes in the city, this proved to be the number one rated nursing home in Portsmouth. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection grade, which you can find in the next section.
Autumn Care of Portsmouth
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
3610 Winchester Dr,
Portsmouth VA 23707
82.68% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it received an elite inspection grade. Its inspection score was far superior to its overall score. In our inspections category, we gave this facility an A-. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of these deficiencies to create an immediate risk to resident health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more favorable category scores was in the area of short-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B. Our short-term care grades are thought to be more important for people requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This means not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to find registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Finally, we looked at the number of patients that eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Autumn Care of Portsmouth?
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a respectable score in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. Our long-term care scores are based on a nursing home's quantity of nursing care. This means a vast spectrum of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine medical services. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 98.376625 percent of its patients, which is more than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Turning to the last area, we gave this nursing home a D for our nursing category. This was the facility's weakest category score. In calculating our nursing ratings, we weigh both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility fared well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Autumn Care of Portsmouth Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percentage of long-term residents which experienced falls which caused major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents which suffered from UTI's. UTI's may be an indication of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric may be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term residents who are given antianxiety medication. These medications are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 3.63% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. High levels of depression could reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 91.12% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 11.62 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 75.54% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.82 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 2.66 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.4 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 3.63 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.71 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Sentara Leigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.75 miles away830 Kempsville Road Norfolk Virginia 23502Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 261-6700
- Sentara Obici HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.6 miles away2800 Godwin Boulevard Suffolk Virginia 23439Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 934-4000
- Davita - Greater Portsmouth1.22 miles awayDialysis Unit 3516 Queen St Portsmouth Virginia 23707CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (757) 397-2806
- Portsmouth Dialysis Center1.44 miles away2000 High St Portsmouth Virginia 23704CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 397-4300
- Rai - Airline-Portsmouth 72531.74 miles away3080 Airline Blvd Portsmouth Virginia 23701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 488-3590
- Rai - Goode Way-Portsmouth2.21 miles away311 Goode Way Portsmouth Virginia 23704CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (757) 393-6582
- Childrens Hospital of Kings Daughters3.5 miles awayPediatric Dialysis Ctr 601 Childrens Ln Norfolk Virginia 23507Dialysis Stations: 8 (757) 668-8151
- Rai - Churchland-Chesapeake3.72 miles away5846 Churchland Blvd Portsmouth Virginia 23703CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 686-5770
- Bma - Greater Norfolk4.44 miles away(Granby Dialysis) 1902 Omohundro Ave Norfolk Virginia 23517CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 622-4935
- Midtowne Norfolk Dialysis4.45 miles away2201 Colonial Ave Norfolk Virginia 23517CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 626-3111