Autumn Care of Portsmouth is an average-sized nursing home located in Portsmouth, Virginia. This is a lower end nursing home, with an overall grade of D. Based on our assessment, this facility may not be the best fit for most prospective residents. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection reports. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category grades
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Autumn Care of Portsmouth
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Portsmouth senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we were fairly low on this nursing home overall, we awarded it an A- for our inspections rating. This score is far more impressive than the nursing home's overall grade. Our inspection ratings are tied to several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these inspections. You should especially avoid nursing homes that have severe deficiencies linked to risks to resident well being. This place was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies an imminent risk to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next highest area came in the area of short-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-. Our short-term care grades are based on a nursing home's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a vast scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. We found that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. It offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Autumn Care of Portsmouth?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of long-term care, this facility received just a D in that category. Facilities that don't fare well in long-term care typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine healthcare services we assessed. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. We were concerned by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated only 89.84127 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
The final area we scored is nursing. This facility received an abysmal grade of F in this category. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with levels of nurse staffing. This place averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these statistics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Autumn Care of Portsmouth Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 8.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 2.25% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with poor nursing care. More frequent bathing can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 15.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used to treat several medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 19.63% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 5.07% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 88.92% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 17.15% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 18.14% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 1.38 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 18.14 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 12.25 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Autumn Care of Portsmouth, 74.96% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.82 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 2.66 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.4 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 3.63 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.71 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Sentara Leigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.75 miles away830 Kempsville Road Norfolk Virginia 23502Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 261-6700
- Sentara Obici HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.6 miles away2800 Godwin Boulevard Suffolk Virginia 23439Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 934-4000
- Davita - Greater Portsmouth1.22 miles awayDialysis Unit 3516 Queen St Portsmouth Virginia 23707CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (757) 397-2806
- Portsmouth Dialysis Center1.44 miles away2000 High St Portsmouth Virginia 23704CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 397-4300
- Rai - Airline-Portsmouth 72531.74 miles away3080 Airline Blvd Portsmouth Virginia 23701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 488-3590
- Rai - Goode Way-Portsmouth2.21 miles away311 Goode Way Portsmouth Virginia 23704CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (757) 393-6582
- Childrens Hospital of Kings Daughters3.5 miles awayPediatric Dialysis Ctr 601 Childrens Ln Norfolk Virginia 23507Dialysis Stations: 8 (757) 668-8151
- Rai - Churchland-Chesapeake3.72 miles away5846 Churchland Blvd Portsmouth Virginia 23703CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 686-5770
- Bma - Greater Norfolk4.44 miles away(Granby Dialysis) 1902 Omohundro Ave Norfolk Virginia 23517CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 622-4935
- Midtowne Norfolk Dialysis4.45 miles away2201 Colonial Ave Norfolk Virginia 23517CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 626-3111