Autumn Care of Cornelius is in Cornelius, North Carolina. The city has 24,390 people. This nursing home was given a bottom of the barrel overall grade based on the data we looked at. Based on our ratings, this facility probably isn't a fit for any prospective resident. We were surprisingly able to give this facility some positive feedback for our inspections category, which you can read more about below.
Autumn Care of Cornelius
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
19530 Mount Zion Parkway,
Cornelius NC 28031
85.78% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall score was as bad as it gets, it fared pretty well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B+ for that area, which is one of our better scores. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent threat to resident health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best category was short-term care, but it still received just a D in that category. This ended up being a well below average score. With our short-term care rating, we try to forge a valuable barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze the facility's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. With a score in this range for this area, we weren't shocked to discover this nursing home was below average in multiple staffing metrics we assess. In fact, it offered significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most facilities. The final datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar metrics doomed this facility's short-term care score.
Does this page answer your questions about Autumn Care of Cornelius?
Long-term Care Quality
Another issue was the F this facility received in the category of long-term care. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means the facility didn't perform well in our quality measures relating to resident care. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 92.94606 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be somewhat below what we expected but still a reasonably acceptable figure. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best feature in this category.
The last category we scored is nursing, in which this nursing home received an abysmal grade here as well. Sadly, it received a lowly F for this area, which is definitely a major disappointment. Nursing ratings are largely tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This place offered a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This facility performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these data points to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Autumn Care of Cornelius Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Autumn Care of Cornelius, 10.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Autumn Care of Cornelius, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely the result of poor nursing care. More supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Autumn Care of Cornelius, 3.21% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term residents that had UTI's. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Autumn Care of Cornelius, 11.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used for treating a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Autumn Care of Cornelius, 22.05% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Autumn Care of Cornelius, 3.01% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents showing depressive symptoms. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Autumn Care of Cornelius, 87.89% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Autumn Care of Cornelius, 18.87% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Autumn Care of Cornelius, 24.57% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Autumn Care of Cornelius, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is important to maintaining the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Autumn Care of Cornelius, 24.57 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Autumn Care of Cornelius, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Autumn Care of Cornelius, 72.58% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements.
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.57 miles away10030 Gilead Road Huntersville North Carolina 28078Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 316-4000
- Lake Norman Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.17 miles away171 Fairview Road Mooresville North Carolina 28117Proprietary(704) 660-4000
- Atrium Health University CityAcute Care Hospitals 12.7 miles away8800 North Tyron Street Charlotte North Carolina 28262Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 548-6000
- Carolinas Healthcare System NortheastAcute Care Hospitals 14.08 miles away920 Church St N Concord North Carolina 28025Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 783-3000
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.05 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Box 33549 Charlotte North Carolina 28233Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 384-4000
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 18.57 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Atrium Health LincolnAcute Care Hospitals 19.71 miles away433 Mcalister Rd Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Government - Hospital District or Authority(980) 212-2000
- Independent Nephrology Services Huntersville4.86 miles away9920 Kincey Avenue Ste 140 Huntersville North Carolina 28078Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 947-2341
- Huntersville Dialysis4.92 miles away9622 Kincey Ave Huntersville North Carolina 28078Dialysis Stations: 14 (704) 912-3890
- Lake Norman Dialysis Center of Wake Forest University5.88 miles away164 Professional Park Drive Mooresville North Carolina 28117CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (704) 799-1860
- North Charlotte11.12 miles away6620 Old Statesville Road Charlotte North Carolina 28269CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (704) 599-1355
- Dsi Glenwater Dialysis12.18 miles away9030 Glenwater Drive Charlotte North Carolina 28262CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (704) 503-6900
- Harrisburg Dialysis Center12.43 miles away3310 Perry St Concord North Carolina 28027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (704) 792-1144
- Dialysis of Kannapolis13.66 miles away1607 North Main Street Kannapolis North Carolina 28081CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (704) 933-0809
- Bma of Beatties Ford Inc13.75 miles away1534 North Hoskins Road Charlotte North Carolina 28216CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (704) 394-7335