Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center is a large non-profit nursing home located in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Featuring an overall rating of B. After sizing up the other alternatives in Fort Wayne, this seems to be a better option than the majority of them. You can definitely do much worse than this facility. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its short-term care grade, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Fort Wayne senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a strong overall score, this facility fared well in our short-term care category. We awarded it an impressive grade of A for that category, which is one of our highest scores. In determining our short-term care ratings, we analyze a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is more often than not a fair assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
This nursing home also excelled in inspections. We awarded it an B+ for that category, which is one of our highest scores. This is one of the few nursing homes with an overall score in this range which received multiple category grades this high. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this area typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B+. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Our nursing grade analyzes several components, most of which are based on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of turning patients more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we rated was long-term care. We gave this facility a grade of D in long-term care, making this the facility's weakest grade. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 99.67532 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who have sustained a fall which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indication of lower quality nursing care. However, this metric can be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that are administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients that were administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center, 14.48% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center, 91.03% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.53 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ashton Creek Health and Rehabilitation Center, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 11 other nursing homes
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.39 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 0.58 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 1.18 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.17 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 12.78 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 13.22 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Community Memorial HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.1 miles away208 N Columbus St Hicksville Ohio 43526Government - Hospital District or Authority(419) 542-6692
- Parkview Whitley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.52 miles away1260 E Sr 205 Columbia City Indiana 46725Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 248-9301
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis1.12 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis2.44 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis5.51 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Fmc - Canal Dialysis9.79 miles away1308 Minnich Road New Haven Indiana 46774Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 749-1004
- Davita - Fort Wayne West9.86 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Davita - Fort Wayne South10.61 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Davita - Appleseed10.74 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036
- Fmc - Dekalb County Dialysis12.23 miles away1144 West 15th Street Auburn Indiana 46706Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 927-1309