Ashford Gardens is a very-large non-profit facility in Houston, Texas. Sporting an overall grade of D, this is a relatively poor facility. Houston received a city grade of B-, so there are some other options in the city worth looking at. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home's overall grade, it actually received a very impressive inspection report this year. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that category with an A-. Inspection ratings account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid nursing homes with a list of severe deficiencies flagged. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
This facilities next most favorable category was short-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in this category. This is basically a middle of the pack grade in this category. With our short-term care assessment, we attempt to create a meaningful measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess a facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its level of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Ashford Gardens?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we looked at is long-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a decent grade of C. Long-term care grades are often used to grade a nursing home's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services provided by a rehabilitation facility. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The next category we assessed was nursing. This nursing home was given a poor grade of F in that category. Our nursing grade is primarily tied to the facility's nurse staffing. This place provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ashford Gardens Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ashford Gardens, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ashford Gardens, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are often associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ashford Gardens, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients who experienced UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of poor nursing care. However, this metric can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ashford Gardens, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. These medications are used for treating a variety of conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ashford Gardens, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ashford Gardens, 4.66% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ashford Gardens, 94.73% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ashford Gardens, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ashford Gardens, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels. Many would argue that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ashford Gardens, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ashford Gardens, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ashford Gardens, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 59 other nursing homes
- United Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.46 miles away510 W Tidwell Houston Texas 77091Physician(713) 691-1111
- Memorial Hermann Hospital SystemAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away1635 North Loop West Houston Texas 77008Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 448-6796
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.33 miles away1401 St. Joseph Parkway Houston Texas 77002Proprietary(713) 757-1000
- Park Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away1313 Hermann Dr Houston Texas 77004Proprietary(713) 527-5019
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.47 miles away6411 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 704-3700
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.66 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Hca Houston Healthcare NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 10.67 miles away710 Cypress Creek Parkway Houston Texas 77090Proprietary(281) 440-1000
- Houston Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.68 miles away6565 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 790-2221
- Northstar Dialysis Center0.48 miles away380 W Little York Houston Texas 77076CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 49 (281) 448-4506
- Sng - Northwest Dialysis Center Lp0.7 miles away7112 Stuebner Airline Drive Houston Texas 77091Dialysis Stations: 36 (713) 490-7382
- North Shepherd Dialysis0.85 miles away7272 North Shepherd Bldg B Houston Texas 77091CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (713) 697-1115
- North Houston Dialysis Center2.35 miles away8621 Fulton St Houston Texas 77022CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (713) 699-3748
- Crosstimbers Dialysis2.79 miles away4400 North Freeway Suite 100 Houston Texas 77022Dialysis Stations: 12 (713) 695-4413
- Jensen Dialysis Center LLC3.63 miles away9716 Jensen Drive Houston Texas 77093Dialysis Stations: 22 (713) 692-4600
- Renal Treatment Centers Southeas Lp3.65 miles away12430 State Highway 249 Ste H Houston Texas 77086Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 820-4880
- Bothwell Dialysis LLC3.7 miles away8787 Fallbrook Dr Houston Texas 77064Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 477-7878