Ashford Gardens is a very-large non-profit facility in Houston, Texas. Sporting an overall grade of D, this is a relatively poor facility. Houston received a city grade of B-, so there are some other options in the city worth looking at. The only positive thing we can really say about this facility is that it did not receive any F's in in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it a B for our inspections category. This grade is much more impressive than the place's overall score. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. It is generally in your best interest to avoid facilities that had too many deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
One of this facility's better category grades came in the area of short-term care. This ended up being its second most favorable category. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a C. In computing our short-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This rating is typically a fair assessment of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. The final datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Ashford Gardens?
Unfortunately, this facility only received a grade of D for its nursing grade, which was actually one of its better category grades. When calculating a facility's nursing rating, we assess the quantity of hours nurses are with patients and the skill levels of the nurses. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. This place fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these statistics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is long-term care, which is this nursing home's worst category. We gave this facility a D in that area. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. After we finished looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinates 99.68553 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ashford Gardens Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ashford Gardens, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care residents that developed pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ashford Gardens, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ashford Gardens, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ashford Gardens, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ashford Gardens, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ashford Gardens, 4.81% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ashford Gardens, 94.64% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ashford Gardens, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ashford Gardens, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels. Many would argue that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ashford Gardens, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ashford Gardens, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ashford Gardens, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 59 other nursing homes
- United Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.46 miles away510 W Tidwell Houston Texas 77091Physician(713) 691-1111
- Memorial Hermann Hospital SystemAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away1635 North Loop West Houston Texas 77008Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 448-6796
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.33 miles away1401 St. Joseph Parkway Houston Texas 77002Proprietary(713) 757-1000
- Park Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away1313 Hermann Dr Houston Texas 77004Proprietary(713) 527-5019
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.47 miles away6411 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 704-3700
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.66 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Hca Houston Healthcare NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 10.67 miles away710 Cypress Creek Parkway Houston Texas 77090Proprietary(281) 440-1000
- Houston Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.68 miles away6565 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 790-2221
- Northstar Dialysis Center0.48 miles away380 W Little York Houston Texas 77076CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 49 (281) 448-4506
- Sng - Northwest Dialysis Center Lp0.7 miles away7112 Stuebner Airline Drive Houston Texas 77091Dialysis Stations: 36 (713) 490-7382
- North Shepherd Dialysis0.85 miles away7272 North Shepherd Bldg B Houston Texas 77091CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (713) 697-1115
- North Houston Dialysis Center2.35 miles away8621 Fulton St Houston Texas 77022CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (713) 699-3748
- Crosstimbers Dialysis2.79 miles away4400 North Freeway Suite 100 Houston Texas 77022Dialysis Stations: 12 (713) 695-4413
- Jensen Dialysis Center LLC3.63 miles away9716 Jensen Drive Houston Texas 77093Dialysis Stations: 22 (713) 692-4600
- Renal Treatment Centers Southeas Lp3.65 miles away12430 State Highway 249 Ste H Houston Texas 77086Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 820-4880
- Bothwell Dialysis LLC3.7 miles away8787 Fallbrook Dr Houston Texas 77064Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 477-7878