Ashford Gardens is a very-large facility in Houston, Texas. Sporting an overall grade of C, this looks like a middle of the road facility. This grade is not too far off the city grade for Houston, which is a B-. This nursing home didn't excel in all of our categories, but it didn't receive any terrible grades either. More information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Houston senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home's overall grade was bolstered by the fact that it has received favorable inspections in recent years. We awarded it a strong score in this category, with a grade of B+. This is a much better grade than the facility's overall grade. Our inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this category usually have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
This facility's second best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of B-. Nursing grades are largely tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a somewhat uninspiring figure which is well below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It scored well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Ashford Gardens?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded its next most favorable category grade in the area of short-term care. We awarded this nursing home a grade of C in this area, which is a reasonably acceptable grade. Our short-term care ratings are likely more meaningful for those in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. It offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. It is still important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed is long-term care, is this nursing home's weakest area. We awarded this facility a D in that area. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care scores. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 97.45223 percent of its patients, which is more than the average nursing home. To our surprise, this facility also keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ashford Gardens Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ashford Gardens, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ashford Gardens, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ashford Gardens, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indication of poor nursing care. However, this datapoint can be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ashford Gardens, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for treating several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ashford Gardens, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ashford Gardens, 4.84% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ashford Gardens, 93.69% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ashford Gardens, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ashford Gardens, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ashford Gardens, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ashford Gardens, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 24 other nursing homes
- United Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.46 miles away510 W Tidwell Houston Texas 77091Physician(713) 691-1111
- Memorial Hermann Hospital SystemAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away1635 North Loop West Houston Texas 77008Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 448-6796
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.33 miles away1401 St. Joseph Parkway Houston Texas 77002Proprietary(713) 757-1000
- Park Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away1313 Hermann Dr Houston Texas 77004Proprietary(713) 527-5019
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.47 miles away6411 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 704-3700
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.66 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Hca Houston Healthcare NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 10.67 miles away710 Cypress Creek Parkway Houston Texas 77090Proprietary(281) 440-1000
- Houston Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.68 miles away6565 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 790-2221
- Northstar Dialysis Center0.48 miles away380 W Little York Houston Texas 77076CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 49 (281) 448-4506
- Sng - Northwest Dialysis Center Lp0.7 miles away7112 Stuebner Airline Drive Houston Texas 77091Dialysis Stations: 36 (713) 490-7382
- North Shepherd Dialysis0.85 miles away7272 North Shepherd Bldg B Houston Texas 77091CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (713) 697-1115
- North Houston Dialysis Center2.35 miles away8621 Fulton St Houston Texas 77022CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (713) 699-3748
- Crosstimbers Dialysis2.79 miles away4400 North Freeway Suite 100 Houston Texas 77022Dialysis Stations: 12 (713) 695-4413
- Jensen Dialysis Center LLC3.63 miles away9716 Jensen Drive Houston Texas 77093Dialysis Stations: 22 (713) 692-4600
- Renal Treatment Centers Southeas Lp3.65 miles away12430 State Highway 249 Ste H Houston Texas 77086Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 820-4880
- Bothwell Dialysis LLC3.7 miles away8787 Fallbrook Dr Houston Texas 77064Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 477-7878