Located in Ashburn, Virginia, Ashby Ponds is the lone facility we identified in this area. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is very favorable rating. We simply can't say enough great things about this facility. Scroll down to find this nursing home's category grades, which are also impressive. It would be hard to find any major flaws in this nursing home's profile.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall score, we awarded this facility an elite grade of A+ for its short-term care grade. In calculating our short-term care grades, we assess a facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This grade is considered to be a solid assessment of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Inspection grades weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area generally have few severe deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe. This tells you that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies an imminent threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Ashby Ponds?
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, this nursing home also was given favorable long-term care scores this year. Indeed, we awarded them one of our more favorable scores in that area, with a grade of B+. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 83.69565 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which happens to be a bit less than we anticipated but still a decent figure. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The fourth area we looked at is nursing, where this facility was awarded a grade of B+. This rounded out a very strong profile. Very few facilities earned a B+ or higher in in each area we assessed. In determining our nursing ratings, we weigh both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving a resident more frequently.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ashby Ponds Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ashby Ponds, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ashby Ponds, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ashby Ponds, 2.59% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ashby Ponds, 13.53% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ashby Ponds, 20.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ashby Ponds, 3.59% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ashby Ponds, 91.36% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ashby Ponds, 16.53% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ashby Ponds, 23.38% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels. Many believe that the ability to move around is vital to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Ashby Ponds, 1.23 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is important to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ashby Ponds, 23.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ashby Ponds, 11.33 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ashby Ponds, 75.1% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation services.
- Inova Loudoun HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.25 miles away44045 Riverside Parkway Leesburg Virginia 20176Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 858-6600
- Reston Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.74 miles away1850 Town Center Parkway Reston Virginia 20190Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 689-9000
- Stonesprings Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.98 miles away24440 Stone Springs Boulevard Sterling Virginia 20166Proprietary(571) 349-4000
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.31 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- Holy Cross Germantown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.39 miles away19801 Observation Drive Germantown Maryland 20876Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 557-6020
- Inova Fairfax HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.93 miles away3300 Gallows Road Falls Church Virginia 22042Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 776-4001
- Novant Health Uva Health Haymarket Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.83 miles away15225 Healthcote Boulevard Haymarket Virginia 20169Voluntary non-profit - Private(571) 284-1000
- Novant Health Uva Prince William Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.43 miles away8700 Sudley Rd Manassas Virginia 20110Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 369-8000
- Davita Ashburn Dialysis2.26 miles away19980 Highland Vista Drive Suite 100 Ashburn Virginia 20147Dialysis Stations: 17 (571) 223-0451
- Cdc - Sterling/Dulles3.17 miles away46396 Benedict Dr Ste 100 Sterling Virginia 20164CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (703) 444-8932
- Lansdowne Dialysis3.34 miles away44084 Riverside Parkway Suite 100 Leesburg Virginia 20176Dialysis Stations: 17 (703) 729-9398
- Reston Dialysis Center6.02 miles away530 Huntmar Park Dr Ste D Herndon Virginia 20170CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (703) 437-0414
- Renal Carepartners of Reston LLC7.76 miles away12330 Pinecrest Rd Ste 200 Reston Virginia 20191Dialysis Stations: 16 (703) 476-0605
- Stone Ridge Dialysis8.11 miles away24640 Southpoint Drive Suite 160 Chantilly Virginia 20152Dialysis Stations: 13 (703) 327-4357
- Pure Life Renal of Lansdowne Inc.8.25 miles away19490 Sandridge Way Suite 140 Leesburg Virginia 20176Dialysis Stations: 16 (571) 271-0880
- Leesburg Virginia Dialysis8.65 miles away224-D Cornwall St Ste 100 Leesburg Virginia 20176Dialysis Stations: 12 (571) 258-1362