Located in Ashburn, Virginia, Ashby Ponds is the lone facility we identified in this area. This nursing home proved to be a grade A facility, which is a dominant rating. We simply can't say enough great things about this facility. Scroll down to find this facility's category grades, which also impressed us. You just can't do much better than a straight A profile.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Top Nursing Home in Virginia Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Ashburn, Virginia Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Virginia Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Ashburn, Virginia Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Virginia Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Ashburn, Virginia Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall score, we awarded this facility an elite grade of A+ for its short-term care grade. In calculating our short-term care grades, we assess a facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This grade is considered to be a solid assessment of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
This facility also received an A+ inspection score, making it one of the few places to receive multiple A+'s in our categories. Inspection ratings weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this category usually have few severe deficiencies. This place was assessed 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to create an imminent threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Ashby Ponds?
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to point out the fact that this facility was awarded an elite grade of A- in our long-term care category. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. After looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 79.411766 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is a few points less than we expected but still a decent figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, we were pleased to find facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
In the last category we rated, this nursing home received an impressive grade grade of A- in our nursing category. With this grade, the nursing home topped off a straight A report card. Nursing ratings are tied to quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ashby Ponds Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ashby Ponds, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ashby Ponds, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ashby Ponds, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ashby Ponds, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ashby Ponds, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ashby Ponds, 3.63% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ashby Ponds, 91.12% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ashby Ponds, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ashby Ponds, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Ashby Ponds, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to preserving the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ashby Ponds, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ashby Ponds, 11.62 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ashby Ponds, 75.54% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Inova Loudoun HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.25 miles away44045 Riverside Parkway Leesburg Virginia 20176Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 858-6600
- Reston Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.74 miles away1850 Town Center Parkway Reston Virginia 20190Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 689-9000
- Stonesprings Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.98 miles away24440 Stone Springs Boulevard Sterling Virginia 20166Proprietary(571) 349-4000
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.31 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- Holy Cross Germantown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.39 miles away19801 Observation Drive Germantown Maryland 20876Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 557-6020
- Inova Fairfax HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.93 miles away3300 Gallows Road Falls Church Virginia 22042Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 776-4001
- Novant Health Uva Health Haymarket Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.83 miles away15225 Healthcote Boulevard Haymarket Virginia 20169Voluntary non-profit - Private(571) 284-1000
- Novant Health Uva Prince William Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.43 miles away8700 Sudley Rd Manassas Virginia 20110Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 369-8000
- Davita Ashburn Dialysis2.26 miles away19980 Highland Vista Drive Suite 100 Ashburn Virginia 20147Dialysis Stations: 17 (571) 223-0451
- Cdc - Sterling/Dulles3.17 miles away46396 Benedict Dr Ste 100 Sterling Virginia 20164CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (703) 444-8932
- Lansdowne Dialysis3.34 miles away44084 Riverside Parkway Suite 100 Leesburg Virginia 20176Dialysis Stations: 17 (703) 729-9398
- Reston Dialysis Center6.02 miles away530 Huntmar Park Dr Ste D Herndon Virginia 20170CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (703) 437-0414
- Renal Carepartners of Reston LLC7.76 miles away12330 Pinecrest Rd Ste 200 Reston Virginia 20191Dialysis Stations: 16 (703) 476-0605
- Stone Ridge Dialysis8.11 miles away24640 Southpoint Drive Suite 160 Chantilly Virginia 20152Dialysis Stations: 13 (703) 327-4357
- Pure Life Renal of Lansdowne Inc.8.25 miles away19490 Sandridge Way Suite 140 Leesburg Virginia 20176Dialysis Stations: 16 (571) 271-0880
- Leesburg Virginia Dialysis8.65 miles away224-D Cornwall St Ste 100 Leesburg Virginia 20176Dialysis Stations: 12 (571) 258-1362