Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center is in Huntington Station, New York. It looks like this is a good facility. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a very solid grade. This facility definitely has plenty of good features. This facility's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which you can find in the next section.
Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall score, this place also earned first-rate inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our better grades in that area, with an A+. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility received a favorable long-term care score as well. We awarded it one of our better grades in that area with a grade of B+. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 92.86927 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which happens to be a bit less than we anticipated but still a respectable figure. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. This wasn't quite on par with some of its other category grades mentioned above. Our nursing score analyzes quite a few factors, however, the primary one is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In fact, it scored well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed is short-term care. For that category, we awarded this nursing home a C. Short-term care grades are generally employed to grade a facility's performance with rehabilitation. To offer highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to provide better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 4.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term patients that are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 13.2% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. High rates of depression may be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 91.26% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.83 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 5.7 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.78 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.42 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.44 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.53 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.56 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.07 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Carillon Dialysis LLC2.04 miles away830 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 8 (631) 630-0398
- Davita Huntington on Broadway Dialysis2.05 miles away256 Broadway Huntington Station New York 11746CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 423-4320
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.2.05 miles away33 Walt Whitman Road Huntington Station New York 11746Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 547-4150
- Huntington Hospital3.84 miles away270 Park Avenue Dialysis Unit Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 7 (631) 351-2471
- Davita Crossways Park Dialysis4.84 miles away113 Crossways Park Dr Suite 102 Woodbury New York 11797Dialysis Stations: 17 (516) 921-0914
- Island Rehabilitative Services - Commack5.1 miles away68 Hauppauge Road Commack New York 11725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (631) 715-2740
- Davita Oyster Bay Dialysis7.86 miles away17 E Old Country Road Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (516) 681-2786
- New York Dialysis Services Inc.7.95 miles away760 South Broadway Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 827-1370