Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center is in Huntington Station, New York. It looks like this is a good facility. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a very solid grade. This facility definitely has plenty of good features. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong profile was its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a quality overall score as described above, but we especially wanted to point out its nearly flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A+ in this area. Our inspection grades weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this area generally have few of these severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded an impressive long-term care score. Indeed, we gave it an above average score of B+ in this area. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 92.1875 percent of its patients. This is a bit less than we were hoping for but still a reasonably acceptable figure. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third most favorable area we awarded this facility in any area came in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. In crafting these short-term care grades, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to formulate a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we considered in this category is the number of residents that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
The final area we analyzed is nursing, proved to be this nursing home's least impressive area. We gave this nursing home a D in this category. This was one of the couple of dings on a very solid profile. Nursing grades are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percent of long-term residents that suffered from pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used to treat several medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are generally prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 13.6% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many argue this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 91.89% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility. Some believe that the ability to move around is critical to patients physical and mental health.
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.83 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 5.7 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.78 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.42 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.44 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.53 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.56 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.07 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Carillon Dialysis LLC2.04 miles away830 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 8 (631) 630-0398
- Davita Huntington on Broadway Dialysis2.05 miles away256 Broadway Huntington Station New York 11746CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 423-4320
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.2.05 miles away33 Walt Whitman Road Huntington Station New York 11746Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 547-4150
- Huntington Hospital3.84 miles away270 Park Avenue Dialysis Unit Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 7 (631) 351-2471
- Davita Crossways Park Dialysis4.84 miles away113 Crossways Park Dr Suite 102 Woodbury New York 11797Dialysis Stations: 17 (516) 921-0914
- Island Rehabilitative Services - Commack5.1 miles away68 Hauppauge Road Commack New York 11725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (631) 715-2740
- Davita Oyster Bay Dialysis7.86 miles away17 E Old Country Road Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (516) 681-2786
- New York Dialysis Services Inc.7.95 miles away760 South Broadway Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 827-1370