Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center is in Huntington Station, New York. It looks like this is a good facility. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a very solid grade. This facility definitely has plenty of good features. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong profile was its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Huntington Station senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a quality overall score as described above, but we especially wanted to point out its nearly flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A+ in this area. Our inspection grades weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this area generally have few of these severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded an impressive long-term care score. Indeed, we gave it an above average score of B+ in this area. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 95.18459 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of C. This wasn't quite as good as some of its other scores, but a grade in this range is not the end of the world. There are many factors included in this grade. Many of the factors are tied to nurse staffing. This facility provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a somewhat uninspiring figure as it is well below average. Finally, while this nursing home got docked a bit for its nursing hours, it actually excelled in some of our quality metrics. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it did very well in this statistic.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's weakest category is short-term care, which is the final category we scored. For this area, we awarded this facility a grade of D. Short-term care grades are typically employed to assess a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to have highly rated rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to have better levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. We found that this facility was subpar in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the data we assessed. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 8.21% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 2.41% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents that experienced falls resulting in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 1.57% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 20.39% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 29.26% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 17.98% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 96.16% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 16.34% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 10.84% of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 10.84% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 7.63% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Apex Rehabilitation & Care Center, 93.26% of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.83 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 5.7 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.78 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.42 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.44 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.53 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.56 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.07 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Carillon Dialysis LLC2.04 miles away830 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 8 (631) 630-0398
- Davita Huntington on Broadway Dialysis2.05 miles away256 Broadway Huntington Station New York 11746CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 423-4320
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.2.05 miles away33 Walt Whitman Road Huntington Station New York 11746Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 547-4150
- Huntington Hospital3.84 miles away270 Park Avenue Dialysis Unit Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 7 (631) 351-2471
- Davita Crossways Park Dialysis4.84 miles away113 Crossways Park Dr Suite 102 Woodbury New York 11797Dialysis Stations: 17 (516) 921-0914
- Island Rehabilitative Services - Commack5.1 miles away68 Hauppauge Road Commack New York 11725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (631) 715-2740
- Davita Oyster Bay Dialysis7.86 miles away17 E Old Country Road Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (516) 681-2786
- New York Dialysis Services Inc.7.95 miles away760 South Broadway Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 827-1370