Aperion Care International is a very-large nursing home located in Chicago, Illinois. We gave this facility an F, which is just about as bad as it gets in our grading scheme. This place is just about as bad as it gets. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Aperion Care International
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Aperion Care International has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Neither this facility's overall grade nor its category grades gave us much to write home about. Its best category was inspections, but even there we gave it a D. This is a very poor grade. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. Generally, you should be more cautious when considering a facility that has severe deficiencies on a recent inspection report. This facility was assessed 9 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we gave this facility a rock-bottom F in the category of short-term care. In calculating our short-term care scores, we look at a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This score is often a useful measure of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we considered the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.8 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Aperion Care International?
This facility ended up receiving rock bottom score in our nursing category. It received an F in this category. Our nursing score is mostly based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This place averaged just 0.2 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This statistic is well below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the fourth category, this facility didn't perform very well in this area either. Due to a poor grade of F in long-term care, this is just about as as uninspiring as it gets. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in this category it is typically a bad sign for resident care and it may mean that the facility is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. As it turns out, this nursing home administered the vaccine to a relatively low 41.72535 percent of its residents, which is not a very encouraging sign. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aperion Care International Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aperion Care International, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aperion Care International, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term care residents who sustained a fall leading to major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aperion Care International, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aperion Care International, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aperion Care International, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care patients which are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aperion Care International, 30.45% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Increased levels of depression may be an indicator a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aperion Care International, 87.4% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aperion Care International, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aperion Care International, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Aperion Care International, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aperion Care International, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aperion Care International, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aperion Care International, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 80 other nursing homes
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.55 miles away2701 W 68th Street Chicago Illinois 60629Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 884-9000
- St Bernard HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.27 miles away326 W 64th St Chicago Illinois 60621Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 962-3900
- Saint Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.48 miles away2875 West 19th Street Chicago Illinois 60623Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 521-1710
- Provident Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 3.62 miles away500 E 51st St Chicago Illinois 60615Government - Local(312) 572-2000
- Mercy Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.22 miles away2525 S Michigan Ave Chicago Illinois 60616Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 567-2000
- The University of Chicago Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.27 miles away5841 South Maryland Chicago Illinois 60637Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 702-1000
- University of Illinois HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away1740 West Taylor St Suite 1400 Chicago Illinois 60612Government - State(312) 996-3900
- John H Stroger Jr HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.72 miles away1901 W Harrison St Chicago Illinois 60612Government - Local(312) 864-6000
- Davita - Brighton Park Dialysis0.5 miles away4737 S. California Ave. Chicago Illinois 60632Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 650-9026
- Fresenius Medical Care Chigacogland, LLC1.21 miles away4616 Bishop Street Chicago Illinois 60609Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 650-5900
- Mt Sinai Hosp Med Ctr Renal Unit1.46 miles away1500 S. California Ave. Chicago Illinois 60608Dialysis Stations: 11 (773) 257-6686
- Davita - Emerald Dialysis1.64 miles away710 West 43rd Street Chicago Illinois 60609CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (773) 843-5668
- Fmc - Marquette Park2.19 miles away6535 South Western Ave. Chicago Illinois 60636CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 778-7609
- Fmc - Bridgeport2.55 miles away825 West 35th Street Chicago Illinois 60609CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (773) 890-4330
- Fmc - Ross Dialysis - Englewood2.66 miles away946 W. 63rd Street Chicago Illinois 60621CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (773) 873-2000
- Sah Dialysis Clinic @26th St2.79 miles away3059 W 26th St Chicago Illinois 60623Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 696-9470