Aperion Care International is a very-large nursing home located in Chicago, Illinois. We gave this facility an F, which is just about as bad as it gets in our grading scheme. This place is just about as bad as it gets. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Aperion Care International
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Aperion Care International has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Chicago senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Neither this facility's overall grade nor its category grades gave us much to write home about. Its best category was inspections, but even there we gave it a D. This is a very poor grade. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. Generally, you should be more cautious when considering a facility that has severe deficiencies on a recent inspection report. This facility was assessed 9 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
In addition, we gave this facility an F in the area of nursing care. Our nursing rating is primarily tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This facility fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Aperion Care International?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home ended up receiving a bottom of the barrel score in our short-term care category. It was given an F in this category. In calculating our short-term care scores, we analyze the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This rating is often a meaningful assessment of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This definitely wasn't a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 4.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we rated was long-term care. It received a lowly F for this area, which is an abysmal score. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means the nursing home did not perform well in our quality measures relating to resident care. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to just 30.340557 percent of its patients, which is somewhat concerning. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aperion Care International Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aperion Care International, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aperion Care International, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aperion Care International, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint can be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aperion Care International, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aperion Care International, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that are administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aperion Care International, 31.81% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aperion Care International, 87.05% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aperion Care International, 13.3% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aperion Care International, 14.44% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that maintained mobility.
In Aperion Care International, 1.92 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aperion Care International, 14.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aperion Care International, 13.66 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aperion Care International, 69.52% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 38 other nursing homes
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.55 miles away2701 W 68th Street Chicago Illinois 60629Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 884-9000
- St Bernard HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.27 miles away326 W 64th St Chicago Illinois 60621Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 962-3900
- Saint Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.48 miles away2875 West 19th Street Chicago Illinois 60623Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 521-1710
- Provident Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 3.62 miles away500 E 51st St Chicago Illinois 60615Government - Local(312) 572-2000
- Mercy Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.22 miles away2525 S Michigan Ave Chicago Illinois 60616Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 567-2000
- The University of Chicago Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.27 miles away5841 South Maryland Chicago Illinois 60637Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 702-1000
- University of Illinois HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away1740 West Taylor St Suite 1400 Chicago Illinois 60612Government - State(312) 996-3900
- John H Stroger Jr HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.72 miles away1901 W Harrison St Chicago Illinois 60612Government - Local(312) 864-6000
- Davita - Brighton Park Dialysis0.5 miles away4737 S. California Ave. Chicago Illinois 60632Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 650-9026
- Fresenius Medical Care Chigacogland, LLC1.21 miles away4616 Bishop Street Chicago Illinois 60609Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 650-5900
- Mt Sinai Hosp Med Ctr Renal Unit1.46 miles away1500 S. California Ave. Chicago Illinois 60608Dialysis Stations: 11 (773) 257-6686
- Davita - Emerald Dialysis1.64 miles away710 West 43rd Street Chicago Illinois 60609CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (773) 843-5668
- Fmc - Marquette Park2.19 miles away6535 South Western Ave. Chicago Illinois 60636CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 778-7609
- Fmc - Bridgeport2.55 miles away825 West 35th Street Chicago Illinois 60609CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (773) 890-4330
- Fmc - Ross Dialysis - Englewood2.66 miles away946 W. 63rd Street Chicago Illinois 60621CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (773) 873-2000
- Sah Dialysis Clinic @26th St2.79 miles away3059 W 26th St Chicago Illinois 60623Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 696-9470