Aperion Care Evanston is a senior living facility located in Evanston, Illinois, which has 79,009 people. This nursing home is a subpar facility. A grade of this caliber indicates we found some red flags. If you are not happy with this facility's relatively poor overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are six other nursing homes in Evanston. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's profile is its impressive inspection grade. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Aperion Care Evanston
- Nursing Home
- Contracted Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't grade this nursing home favorably overall, we actually gave it an excellent score in the area of inspections, where it received an A-. Inspection ratings are tied to many datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these reports. You should especially avoid facilities that have severe deficiencies linked to risks to resident well being. This facility was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that CMS didn't deem any of these deficiencies an imminent risk to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next highest area was short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a C. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its level of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. The important question is whether this also impacted quality of care. The final statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. This figure was below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Aperion Care Evanston?
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. When calculating our nursing scores, we analyze both staffing levels and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed was long-term care, where this nursing home was given a bottom of the barrel grade in this area also. It received an F in this category, which is obviously a major concern. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 98.5646 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aperion Care Evanston Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aperion Care Evanston, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aperion Care Evanston, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aperion Care Evanston, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could also be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aperion Care Evanston, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aperion Care Evanston, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aperion Care Evanston, 29.8% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aperion Care Evanston, 87.49% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aperion Care Evanston, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Some argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aperion Care Evanston, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels.
In Aperion Care Evanston, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aperion Care Evanston, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for Evanston, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Evanston, Illinois has 6 other nursing homes
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.22 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 1.66 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.63 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 4.79 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 5.24 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.29 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.42 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Davita - Evanston Renal Center0.67 miles away1922 Dempster Street Evanston Illinois 60202CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 869-5047
- Fmc - Rogers Park1.54 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Fmc - Midamerica Evanston2.22 miles away2953 Central St 1st Floor Evanston Illinois 60201Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 869-9436
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC3.38 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555
- Fmc - Skokie Dialysis3.97 miles away9801 Woods Dr Skokie Illinois 60076Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 581-1620
- Davita - Big Oaks Dialysis4.64 miles away5623 W. Touhy Avenue Niles Illinois 60714Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 647-3140
- Fmc - Uptown5.45 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis5.56 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105