Aperion Care Chicago Heights is one of a mere three nursing homes in Chicago Heights, Illinois. This nursing home was given an overall rating of F. This place doesn't seem to have much going for it. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was inspections, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Aperion Care Chicago Heights
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
490 West 16th Place,
Chicago Heights IL 60411
86.2% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Aperion Care Chicago Heights has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
This facility's grades were horrible across the board. In particular, we wanted to point out its inspection grade where we gave it an F. This isn't a good sign for its inspection reports. When a facility has this bad of an inspection rating, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This particular facility had 4 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a risk to resident health or safety. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. This proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an F. Nursing ratings are mostly based on a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provided a meager 0.1 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these metrics to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Aperion Care Chicago Heights?
Long-term Care Quality
Another unfortunate development was the F this nursing home received in the category of long-term care. Facilities that don't fare well in long-term care typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. Frankly, we were a bit worried that this facility vaccinated 39.73799 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is quite a bit lower than what we expected. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This is its best feature in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded is short-term care. We gave it an F in this area, which is a very poor score. In our short-term care grade, we seek to create a fair measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at the facility's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Based on its abysmal grade in this area, we were not stunned to find that this nursing home provided significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aperion Care Chicago Heights Quality Metrics
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aperion Care Chicago Heights, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aperion Care Chicago Heights, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients who have had a UTI. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aperion Care Chicago Heights, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term residents who were administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aperion Care Chicago Heights, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aperion Care Chicago Heights, 30.45% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients demonstrating signs of depression. High levels of depression may indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aperion Care Chicago Heights, 87.4% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aperion Care Chicago Heights, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aperion Care Chicago Heights, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aperion Care Chicago Heights, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
- Advocate South Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.84 miles away17800 S Kedzie Ave Hazel Crest Illinois 60429Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 799-8000
- Franciscan Health DyerAcute Care Hospitals 7.12 miles away24 Joliet St Dyer Indiana 46311Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 865-2141
- Ingalls Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.27 miles away1 Ingalls Drive Harvey Illinois 60426Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 333-2300
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 8.12 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.73 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 10.68 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- Roseland Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.39 miles away45 W 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 995-3000
- Palos Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.03 miles away12251 South 80th Avenue Palos Heights Illinois 60463Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 923-4000
- Fkc - Chicago Heights1.16 miles away15 E Independence Drive Chicago Heights Illinois 60411Dialysis Stations: 12 (708) 754-5898
- Davita - Chicago Heights Dialysis1.49 miles away177 B West Joe Orr Rd Chicago Heights Illinois 60411CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 755-9000
- Fmc - South Suburban1.95 miles away2609 W Lincoln Hwy Olympia Fields Illinois 60461CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (708) 747-0050
- Davita - Olympia Fields Dialysis Center1.99 miles away4557 B West Lincoln Highway Matteson Illinois 60443CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (708) 503-1112
- Home Dialysis Services Olympia Fields LLC2.51 miles away3214 Vollmer Rd Olympia Fields Illinois 60461Dialysis Stations: 1 (708) 898-0564
- Dcc - Olympia Fields2.53 miles away3322 Vollmer Rd. Suite C Olympia Fields Illinois 60461Dialysis Stations: 11 (708) 964-2250
- Davita - Flossmoor Home2.75 miles away19720 S Governors Hwy Flossmoor Illinois 60422Dialysis Stations: 4 (708) 799-7239
- Fmc - Steger Dialysis2.92 miles away219 E. 34th Street Steger Illinois 60475Dialysis Stations: 12 (708) 754-3770