Amberwood Gardens is in San Jose, California, which is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the nation. We gave it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road grade. Despite San Jose offering 19 other nursing homes to select from, this one turns out to be a respectable choice. One of the better aspects of this facility's report card is its strong nursing grade, which you can find in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1601 Petersen Avenue,
San Jose CA 95129
69.57% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home received a much better grade for nursing than it received overall. In fact, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. Our nursing grade considers a number of factors. The most important variable is the quantity of hours nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of turning a patient at least once a day.
This nursing home's inspection rating exceeded its overall score as well. We awarded them one of our better grades in that category, with a B. This is a notably better score than the facility's overall grade. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple relatively minor dings are not the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Amberwood Gardens?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is long-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a decent grade of B-. In computing our long-term care ratings, we scrutinize the personal care offered to a nursing home's patients. After we finished looking at the volume of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. We were optimistic to find that this nursing home vaccinates 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we rated was short-term care. This nursing home was given a B- in this area. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 3.7 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Amberwood Gardens Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Amberwood Gardens, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Amberwood Gardens, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care patients that suffered falls which caused severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Amberwood Gardens, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this statistic may also be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Amberwood Gardens, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used to treat a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Amberwood Gardens, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Amberwood Gardens, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Amberwood Gardens, 95.44% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Amberwood Gardens, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Amberwood Gardens, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Amberwood Gardens, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Amberwood Gardens, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Amberwood Gardens, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Amberwood Gardens, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 18 other nursing homes
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 2.87 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 3.03 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.87 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.03 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.18 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.86 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 9.42 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 11.5 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- San Jose at Home2.22 miles away4400 Stevens Creek Blvd. Suite 50 San Jose California 95129Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 985-2011
- Stevens Creek Dialysis Center2.22 miles away275 Di Salvo Ave San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 297-0103
- Satellite Dialysis Stevens Creek2.22 miles away4360-a Stevens Creek Blvd San Jose California 95129CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (408) 517-5777
- Davita Santa Clara Dialysis Center2.99 miles away777 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 243-1130
- Los Gatos Dialysis Center3.23 miles away14251 Winchester Blvd Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 370-6756
- Fmc Los Gatos3.77 miles away14651 South Bascom Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (408) 358-3791
- Satellite Healthcare San Jose3.84 miles away888 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 855-6900
- Santa Clara Valley Renal Care Center3.9 miles away2220 Moorpark Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 885-5730