Amberwood Gardens is in San Jose, California, which is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the nation. We gave it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road grade. This facility has a few things working in its favor. One of the better aspects of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection score, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on San Jose senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home's overall score was bolstered by the fact that it has received favorable government inspections in recent years. We gave them a strong score in this category, with a B+. This is a much better grade than the facility's overall score. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively minor. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a positive score in our long-term care category. We gave this nursing home a better than average grade of B in this area. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in this category it is typically a good sign for resident care and indicates that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly is often a deadly ailment for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a nursing home doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Amberwood Gardens?
This nursing home's next best category was nursing. We awarded it a grade of B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. The nursing rating is based on a handful of subcategories, however, the primary consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This particular facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This figure is significantly below the national average. Lastly, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses to assist its patients.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we rated is short-term care, which is this facility's worst category. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in this area. Our short-term care scores are presumably most important for individuals needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually requires additional skilled nursing services. This means not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the number of patients who returned home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3.7 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Amberwood Gardens Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Amberwood Gardens, 7.77% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents which developed pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Amberwood Gardens, 1.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Amberwood Gardens, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic can be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Amberwood Gardens, 4.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Amberwood Gardens, 3.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Amberwood Gardens, 0.87% of Patients
This is the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression could indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Amberwood Gardens, 100% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Amberwood Gardens, 4% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Many believe this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Amberwood Gardens, 2.97% of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Amberwood Gardens, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Amberwood Gardens, 2.97% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Amberwood Gardens, 8.84% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Amberwood Gardens, 87.43% of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 2.87 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 3.03 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.87 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.03 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.18 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.86 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 9.42 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 11.5 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- San Jose at Home2.22 miles away4400 Stevens Creek Blvd. Suite 50 San Jose California 95129Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 985-2011
- Stevens Creek Dialysis Center2.22 miles away275 Di Salvo Ave San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 297-0103
- Satellite Dialysis Stevens Creek2.22 miles away4360-a Stevens Creek Blvd San Jose California 95129CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (408) 517-5777
- Davita Santa Clara Dialysis Center2.99 miles away777 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 243-1130
- Los Gatos Dialysis Center3.23 miles away14251 Winchester Blvd Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 370-6756
- Fmc Los Gatos3.77 miles away14651 South Bascom Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (408) 358-3791
- Satellite Healthcare San Jose3.84 miles away888 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 855-6900
- Santa Clara Valley Renal Care Center3.9 miles away2220 Moorpark Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 885-5730