With an address in Spring Valley, California, Amaya Springs Health Care Center is one of just a few nursing homes there. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. You can definitely do worse than this nursing home. The best part of this nursing home's report card is is its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Amaya Springs Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
8625 Lamar Street,
Spring Valley CA 91977
89.2% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
It should also be noted that this nursing home's inspection rating outpaced its overall grade. In fact, we awarded it a B+ for its inspections grade, which is one of our better scores. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
This facility performed well in the area of nursing. We gave it a grade of B- for that category, which is one of our best grades. Nursing scores are largely associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Does this page answer your questions about Amaya Springs Health Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next most favorable area we gave this facility in any area came in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a C. In calculating our long-term care scores, we quantify the nursing home's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed is short-term care. We gave it a grade of C in that area. This is a perfectly acceptable grade in this category. Short-term care grades are often used to score a facility's performance with rehabilitation. To have highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally must offer higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. We found that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. It offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final measure we looked at in this area is the number of residents who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 4.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Amaya Springs Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who experienced falls which resulted in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that had UTI's. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many would argue that this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that maintained mobility.
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.36 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 6.14 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 7.55 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.31 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.63 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.94 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Davita-College Dialysis2.73 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College3.41 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center3.45 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise3.84 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Davita-San Diego East4.67 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon5.27 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-Raven5.72 miles away499 Raven Street San Diego California 92102Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 263-1518
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East6.08 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100