With an address in Spring Valley, California, Amaya Springs Health Care Center is one of just a few nursing homes there. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. You can definitely do worse than this nursing home. The best part of this nursing home's report card is is its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Amaya Springs Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Spring Valley senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
It should also be noted that this nursing home's inspection rating outpaced its overall grade. In fact, we awarded it a B+ for its inspections grade, which is one of our better scores. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
This nursing home also received a strong nursing grade. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B in that category, which is one of our better scores. Our nursing score is mostly associated with a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Amaya Springs Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next highest area was its short-term care grade, where it was awarded a grade of C. Our short-term care scores are believed to be most critical for patients requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires more skilled nursing services. This means not merely nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the typical facility. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 4.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next area, this facility received a C in long-term care, which is generally a decent rating. In our long-term care score, we analyze the amount of care provided by a nursing home, as well as some quality metrics. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients, which is more than the average nursing home. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Amaya Springs Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 5.41% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 7.14% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care patients which had a urinary tract infection. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 2.38% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used for treating several medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 21.1% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents that are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 10.58% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression may imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 100% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 9.35% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Many in the industry would argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 12.88% of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility. Many would argue that mobility is vital to residents' mental and physical health.
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 12.88% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 10.48% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Amaya Springs Health Care Center, 84.2% of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.36 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 6.14 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 7.55 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.31 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.63 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.94 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Davita-College Dialysis2.73 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College3.41 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center3.45 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise3.84 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Davita-San Diego East4.67 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon5.27 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-Raven5.72 miles away499 Raven Street San Diego California 92102Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 263-1518
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East6.08 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100