Altercare at Saint Joseph Center is one of five nursing homes in Beachwood, Ohio. This facility received an overall grade of B, which is a quality score. Indeed, this turned out to be better than most of the nursing homes in Beachwood. This place's strong profile was highlighted by its short-term care rating, which is addressed in the next section.
Altercare at Saint Joseph Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2020 by Nick Reese
Note: Data for Altercare at Saint Joseph Center has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
Short-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this nursing home fared well in short-term care. In fact, we awarded it an impressive grade of A- for that category. In calculating our short-term care scores, we look at a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This rating is considered to be a solid assessment of a facility's rehabilitation. It doesn't look like this facility submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final measure we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In that area, we awarded this facility an A-. The nursing grade consists of many components, most of which are tied to quantities of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Altercare at Saint Joseph Center?
Turning to our inspection category, it appears this nursing home has earned respectable inspections in recent years as well. We gave it a B- in this category. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to create an imminent risk to patient health or safety. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Our final area is long-term care, in which we awarded this facility a grade of C in this category. In the area of long-term care, we focus on the amount of services offered by a facility, rather than more healthcare-oriented services. One of the factors we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccines. We were a bit alarmed this facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to only 81.21827 percent of its residents. Nevertheless, this place keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Altercare at Saint Joseph Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint could be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 20.26% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 90.12% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 12 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Beachwood, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Beachwood, Ohio has 4 other nursing homes
- University Hospitals Ahuja Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.66 miles away3999 Richmond Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 593-5510
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.4 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- Hillcrest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away6780 Mayfield Road Cleveland Ohio 44124Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 312-4500
- Uh Cleveland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.12 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 844-1000
- Rainbow Babies and Childrens HospitalChildrens 7.12 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 844-1000
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 7.57 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Uhhs Richmond Heights HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.54 miles away27100 Chardon Road Cleveland Ohio 44143Proprietary(440) 585-6170
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.74 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.1.16 miles away4877 Galaxy Parkway Suite A Cleveland Ohio 44128CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (216) 378-5050
- Ohio Renal Holdings Inc.1.3 miles away3609 Park East Drive, Suite 106 North Beachwood Ohio 44122Dialysis Stations: 6 (216) 455-1315
- Fmc - Ohio Renal Care Group-North Randall1.39 miles away5035 Richmond Road Bedford Ohio 44146Dialysis Stations: 15 (216) 591-1364
- Fkc-Ohio Renal Care Group Southpointe2.86 miles away4200 Warrensville Center Road, Suite 100 Beachwood Ohio 44122Dialysis Stations: 21 (216) 368-0004
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.2.91 miles away18720 Chagrin Blvd Beachwood Ohio 44122CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (216) 295-7000
- Fmc - Solon3.74 miles away6020 Enterprise Parkway Solon Ohio 44139Dialysis Stations: 16 (440) 248-7061
- Community Dialysis Center3.88 miles away27350 Cedar Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Dialysis Stations: 12 (216) 378-1580
- Nephrology Associates at Oakwood, Ltd.4.86 miles away7690 First Place, Suite E, Bldg D Bedford Ohio 44146CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 439-1526