Altercare at Saint Joseph Center is one of five nursing homes in Beachwood, Ohio. This facility received an overall grade of B, which is a quality score. In fact, we found this facility to be better than the majority of the nursing homes in Beachwood, which has a city grade of B-. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its nursing score, which is addressed in the next section.
Altercare at Saint Joseph Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2020 by Nick Reese
Note: Data for Altercare at Saint Joseph Center has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
One of the reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received a very impressive nursing score. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an A-. Our nursing grade is based on many subcategories, but the primary one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This particular nursing home provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was awarded high scores in the category of short-term care as well. In fact, it received one of our most favorable scores in that category with a area of A-. Short-term care grades are generally employed to grade a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to have highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this nursing home submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last measure we assessed in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 6.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Altercare at Saint Joseph Center?
We also found that this nursing home has received favorable inspections in recent years. In fact, we awarded it a B- in this category. This is better than many facilities in this category. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the last area, this nursing home was awarded a C in long-term care, which is an acceptable score. Long-term care grades are meaningful for prospective residents looking for personal care. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We found that this facility provided the vaccine to just 81.21827 percent of its patients, which is somewhat concerning. Nevertheless, this nursing home keeps its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Altercare at Saint Joseph Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of long-term care residents who have experienced falls which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 20% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 90.19% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Altercare at Saint Joseph Center, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Beachwood, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Beachwood, Ohio has 4 other nursing homes
- University Hospitals Ahuja Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.66 miles away3999 Richmond Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 593-5510
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.4 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- Hillcrest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away6780 Mayfield Road Cleveland Ohio 44124Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 312-4500
- Uh Cleveland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.12 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 844-1000
- Rainbow Babies and Childrens HospitalChildrens 7.12 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 844-1000
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 7.57 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Uhhs Richmond Heights HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.54 miles away27100 Chardon Road Cleveland Ohio 44143Proprietary(440) 585-6170
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.74 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.1.16 miles away4877 Galaxy Parkway Suite A Cleveland Ohio 44128CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (216) 378-5050
- Ohio Renal Holdings Inc.1.3 miles away3609 Park East Drive, Suite 106 North Beachwood Ohio 44122Dialysis Stations: 6 (216) 455-1315
- Fmc - Ohio Renal Care Group-North Randall1.39 miles away5035 Richmond Road Bedford Ohio 44146Dialysis Stations: 15 (216) 591-1364
- Fkc-Ohio Renal Care Group Southpointe2.86 miles away4200 Warrensville Center Road, Suite 100 Beachwood Ohio 44122Dialysis Stations: 21 (216) 368-0004
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.2.91 miles away18720 Chagrin Blvd Beachwood Ohio 44122CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (216) 295-7000
- Fmc - Solon3.74 miles away6020 Enterprise Parkway Solon Ohio 44139Dialysis Stations: 16 (440) 248-7061
- Community Dialysis Center3.88 miles away27350 Cedar Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Dialysis Stations: 12 (216) 378-1580
- Nephrology Associates at Oakwood, Ltd.4.86 miles away7690 First Place, Suite E, Bldg D Bedford Ohio 44146CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 439-1526