Alliance Health at West Acres is a large non-profit facility in Brockton, Massachusetts. This nursing home proved to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B+. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top third of all facilities in the United States. This facility's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which we will address in the next section.
Alliance Health at West Acres
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Best Nursing Home in Brockton, Massachusetts Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Brockton, Massachusetts Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Brockton, Massachusetts Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Our inspection grades are tied to several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility is also strong in the category of long-term care, where it was awarded a grade of B+. It outperformed most facilities in this area. Facilities that excel in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 94.62687 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia tragically can be a life or death health condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home does not take any chances. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Alliance Health at West Acres?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed was short-term care. This nursing home received an above average short-term care score, with a grade of B+ in this area. In calculating our short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to formulate a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
The final area we looked at was nursing, where this facility received a grade of B+. This finished off a very favorable report card. Not many nursing homes received a B+ or better in all four categories. The nursing score is based on quite a few data points, but the paramount one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alliance Health at West Acres Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alliance Health at West Acres, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alliance Health at West Acres, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents which experienced a fall resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alliance Health at West Acres, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term residents which suffered from UTI's. UTI's may be an indication of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alliance Health at West Acres, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alliance Health at West Acres, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term residents who were administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alliance Health at West Acres, 1.93% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alliance Health at West Acres, 91.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alliance Health at West Acres, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alliance Health at West Acres, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term residents who maintained mobility. Some experts argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental health.
In Alliance Health at West Acres, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alliance Health at West Acres, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alliance Health at West Acres, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alliance Health at West Acres, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Brockton, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Brockton, Massachusetts has 4 other nursing homes
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.92 miles away235 North Pearl Street Brockton Massachusetts 02301Proprietary(508) 427-3000
- Signature Healthcare Brockton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away680 Center Street Brockton Massachusetts 02302Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 941-7000
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.93 miles away55 Fogg Road South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 340-8000
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.31 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 11.56 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 12.01 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Morton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.99 miles away88 Washington Street Taunton Massachusetts 02780Proprietary(508) 828-7000
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.33 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Brockton Dialysis Center, LLC0.62 miles away375 Westgate Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 586-2791
- Brockton Regional Kidney Center0.85 miles away76 Campanelli Industrial Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (508) 427-5329
- Pure Life Renal of Stoughton, LLC3.61 miles awayMed. Office Bldg Suite m107 907 Sumner Street Stoughton Massachusetts 02072CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 341-8550
- Davita Weymouth Dialysis9.35 miles away330 Libbey Industrial Parkway Suite 900 East Weymouth Massachusetts 02189CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 331-7700
- Us Renal Care Weymouth Dialysis9.7 miles away587 Washington Street Weymouth Massachusetts 02188Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 340-3938
- Quality Care Dialysis Center10.05 miles awayUnit 1 Stetson West 2 West Street Unit 1 South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (781) 331-4100
- Westwood Dialysis Center (Bma Westwood)10.99 miles away90 Glacier Drive Westwood Massachusetts 02090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 326-9985
- Us Renal Care Foxborough Dialysis11.6 miles away10 Lincoln Rd Suite 101 Foxboro Massachusetts 02035Dialysis Stations: 9 (774) 215-5696