Alhambra Convalescent Hospital is one of just a few nursing homes in Martinez, California. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B, which is a quality rating. Based on our ratings, this facility has quite a bit going for it. Fortunately, this facility did not have any poor grades in any of the major categories. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Alhambra Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Martinez senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a strong overall score, this place also earned first-rate inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our best scores in that area, with an A-. Inspection scores are tied to many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This means the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In fact, nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this nursing home an B+. We scrutinized the licensure of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time those nurses were with residents, in calculating our score in this area. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of moving patients more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Alhambra Convalescent Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a strong long-term care score as well. We gave it one of our higher scores in that area with a score of B. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next category, this nursing home was given a grade of C for short-term care, which is generally a respectable rating. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to score a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To provide good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. It doesn't appear that this facility provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The last item we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 4.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alhambra Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 6.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients who sustained a UTI. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 14.04% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 1.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 10.53% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 99.31% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 17.39% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 14.19% of Residents
This is the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 14.19% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 14.73% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 75.92% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- Contra Costa Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.17 miles away2500 Alhambra Avenue Martinez California 94553Government - Local(925) 370-5000
- John Muir Behavioral Health CenterPsychiatric 5.4 miles away2740 Grant Street Concord California 94524Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 674-4101
- John Muir Medical Center - Concord CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.66 miles away2540 East St Concord California 94520Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 682-8200
- John Muir Medical Center - Walnut Creek CampusAcute Care Hospitals 8.26 miles away1601 Ygnacio Valley Rd Walnut Creek California 94598Voluntary non-profit - Other(925) 939-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Walnut CreekAcute Care Hospitals 9.15 miles away1425 S Main Street Walnut Creek California 94596Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 295-4000
- Sutter Solano Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.35 miles away300 Hospital Dr Vallejo California 94589Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 554-5280
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital and Rehab CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away975 Sereno Dr Vallejo California 94589Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 651-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 12.39 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Benicia Dialysis Center3.13 miles away560 First Street Bldg d103 Benicia California 94510CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (707) 745-1488
- Fmc Diablo Concord4.62 miles away508 Contra Costa Blvd #D Pleasant Hill California 94523CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (925) 798-8844
- Concord Dialysis Center6 miles away2300 Stanwell Drive Suite C Concord California 94520CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (925) 677-7492
- Fkc San Miguel6.39 miles away2731 Systron Drive Suite 100 Concord California 94518Dialysis Stations: 25 (925) 676-6401
- Fmc Diablo Walnut Creek7.81 miles away365 Lennon Lane #160 Walnut Creek California 94598Dialysis Stations: 20 (925) 947-4545
- Walnut Creek at Home8.09 miles away400 N Wiget Lane Walnut Creek California 94598Dialysis Stations: 3 (925) 979-9732
- Walnut Creek Dialysis8.09 miles away404 North Wiget Lane Walnut Creek California 94598CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (925) 937-0203
- Davita El Sobrante8.44 miles away3380 San Pablo Dam Rd Ste. C-D El Sobrante California 94803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 262-9230