Alhambra Convalescent Hospital is one of just a few nursing homes in Martinez, California. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B+, which is a strong rating. Based on our ratings, this facility has quite a bit going for it. Fortunately, this facility did not have any poor grades in any of the major categories. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Alhambra Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a strong overall score, this place also earned first-rate inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our best scores in that area, with an A. Inspection scores are tied to many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This means the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home really excelled in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a score of A-. Not many facilities performed better in this category. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 97.2028 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Alhambra Convalescent Hospital?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B+. In calculating a facility's nursing grade, we look at the number of hours nurses are with residents and the skill levels of those nurses. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we graded is short-term care, in which this nursing home was given a grade of C. This actually ended up being this facility's worst category. This is still a middle of the pack score. Short-term care grades are generally employed to measure a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To provide good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide higher levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. We weren't able to locate information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients that were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alhambra Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 4.33% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 95.72% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alhambra Convalescent Hospital, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
- Contra Costa Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.17 miles away2500 Alhambra Avenue Martinez California 94553Government - Local(925) 370-5000
- John Muir Behavioral Health CenterPsychiatric 5.4 miles away2740 Grant Street Concord California 94524Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 674-4101
- John Muir Medical Center - Concord CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.66 miles away2540 East St Concord California 94520Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 682-8200
- John Muir Medical Center - Walnut Creek CampusAcute Care Hospitals 8.26 miles away1601 Ygnacio Valley Rd Walnut Creek California 94598Voluntary non-profit - Other(925) 939-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Walnut CreekAcute Care Hospitals 9.15 miles away1425 S Main Street Walnut Creek California 94596Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 295-4000
- Sutter Solano Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.35 miles away300 Hospital Dr Vallejo California 94589Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 554-5280
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital and Rehab CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away975 Sereno Dr Vallejo California 94589Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 651-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 12.39 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Benicia Dialysis Center3.13 miles away560 First Street Bldg d103 Benicia California 94510CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (707) 745-1488
- Fmc Diablo Concord4.62 miles away508 Contra Costa Blvd #D Pleasant Hill California 94523CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (925) 798-8844
- Concord Dialysis Center6 miles away2300 Stanwell Drive Suite C Concord California 94520CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (925) 677-7492
- Fkc San Miguel6.39 miles away2731 Systron Drive Suite 100 Concord California 94518Dialysis Stations: 25 (925) 676-6401
- Fmc Diablo Walnut Creek7.81 miles away365 Lennon Lane #160 Walnut Creek California 94598Dialysis Stations: 20 (925) 947-4545
- Walnut Creek at Home8.09 miles away400 N Wiget Lane Walnut Creek California 94598Dialysis Stations: 3 (925) 979-9732
- Walnut Creek Dialysis8.09 miles away404 North Wiget Lane Walnut Creek California 94598CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (925) 937-0203
- Davita El Sobrante8.44 miles away3380 San Pablo Dam Rd Ste. C-D El Sobrante California 94803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 262-9230