Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home is one of eight facilities located in Mcallen, Texas. Sporting an overall rating of A-, this nursing home appears to be radically better than many of the facilities in Mcallen. Based on our assessment, you can't go wrong with this facility. Keep reading to find this facility's category scores, which are also impressive. It is hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - State
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received an excellent long-term care score, with a grade of A. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care typically provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 99.80658 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In addition, this facility also earned a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that area with an A. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home?
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. There are a number of subcategories included in this area. Many of these datapoints relate to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our final category, this facility was awarded an extremely favorable short-term care score. Although this was not as impressive as several of its other grades, this is still one of our more favorable scores a facility can receive. In the area of short-term care, we strive to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. We weren't able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The final measure we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of long-term residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 4.66% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 94.73% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Scores for Mcallen, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Mcallen, Texas has 7 other nursing homes
- Rio Grande Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.61 miles away101 E Ridge Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Proprietary(956) 632-6000
- Doctors Hospital at RenaissanceAcute Care Hospitals 5.17 miles away5501 South Mccoll Edinburg Texas 78539Physician(956) 362-8677
- Cornerstone Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.95 miles away2302 Cornerstone Boulevard Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 618-4444
- Mission Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.98 miles away900 South Bryan Road Mission Texas 78572Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 323-9000
- South Texas Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 6.27 miles away1102 W Trenton Road Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 632-4484
- Knapp Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.31 miles away1401 East Eight Street Weslaco Texas 78596Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 968-8567
- Valley Dialysis of Mcallen0.34 miles away2000 S. Cynthia Street Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 994-3374
- Usrc Mcallen Dialysis0.57 miles away1301 East Ridge Road Suite C Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 28 (956) 668-8484
- Driscoll Children's Valley Dialysis Center0.61 miles away1120 East Ridge Road Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 4 (956) 688-1220
- Dialysis Care of Mcallen1.01 miles away411 Lindberg Avenue Mcallen Texas 78501CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 687-6701
- Egonsa Dialysis, LLC1.39 miles away2500 South Jackson Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 21 (956) 664-8251
- Fresenius Medical Care River Valley Clinic1.98 miles away433 W Sam Houston Blvd Pharr Texas 78577Dialysis Stations: 16 (956) 283-0646
- Fresenius Medical Care Mcallen2.1 miles away1325 East Quebec Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (956) 682-1259
- Fresenius Medical Care Edinburg Kidney Center5.36 miles away5406 South Jackson Road Edinburg Texas 78539CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (956) 668-1208