Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home is one of eight facilities located in Mcallen, Texas. Sporting an overall rating of B, we found this nursing home to be ranked among the top three nursing homes in Mcallen. An overall grade in this range is a strong indicator of a very solid facility. This facility definitely has plenty of good features. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive report card was its inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Mcallen senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - State
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was given an impressive long-term care grade as well. We gave it one of our higher scores in that category with a grade of B. Facilities that receive this type of grade in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure patients are kept in good health. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 93.71816 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is somewhat lower than we expected but still a respectable percentage. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B. The nursing rating analyzes many components, most of which are tied to quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we graded was short-term care. We gave this facility a C in this category. Short-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a vast scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. We weren't able to locate information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 3.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 2.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 0.35% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents that have suffered from a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 13.25% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 7.61% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 5.72% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 95.69% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 10.99% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 7.88% of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels.
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 7.88% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Scores for Mcallen, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Mcallen, Texas has 7 other nursing homes
- Rio Grande Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.61 miles away101 E Ridge Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Proprietary(956) 632-6000
- Doctors Hospital at RenaissanceAcute Care Hospitals 5.17 miles away5501 South Mccoll Edinburg Texas 78539Physician(956) 362-8677
- Cornerstone Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.95 miles away2302 Cornerstone Boulevard Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 618-4444
- Mission Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.98 miles away900 South Bryan Road Mission Texas 78572Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 323-9000
- South Texas Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 6.27 miles away1102 W Trenton Road Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 632-4484
- Knapp Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.31 miles away1401 East Eight Street Weslaco Texas 78596Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 968-8567
- Valley Dialysis of Mcallen0.34 miles away2000 S. Cynthia Street Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 994-3374
- Usrc Mcallen Dialysis0.57 miles away1301 East Ridge Road Suite C Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 28 (956) 668-8484
- Driscoll Children's Valley Dialysis Center0.61 miles away1120 East Ridge Road Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 4 (956) 688-1220
- Dialysis Care of Mcallen1.01 miles away411 Lindberg Avenue Mcallen Texas 78501CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 687-6701
- Egonsa Dialysis, LLC1.39 miles away2500 South Jackson Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 21 (956) 664-8251
- Fresenius Medical Care River Valley Clinic1.98 miles away433 W Sam Houston Blvd Pharr Texas 78577Dialysis Stations: 16 (956) 283-0646
- Fresenius Medical Care Mcallen2.1 miles away1325 East Quebec Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (956) 682-1259
- Fresenius Medical Care Edinburg Kidney Center5.36 miles away5406 South Jackson Road Edinburg Texas 78539CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (956) 668-1208