Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home is one of eight facilities located in Mcallen, Texas. We awarded this facility an impressive overall grade of B+. In fact, this nursing home proved to be a superior option to the vast majority of the nursing homes in Mcallen. This nursing home truly has plenty of good features. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile was its long-term care score. Long-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
301 E Yuma Ave,
Mcallen TX 78503
87.18% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - State
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received an A+ long-term care grade. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. One of the factors we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. This is a great way to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the senior population. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
In addition, this facility also performed well in inspections, which is based on the facility's recent inspection reports. We awarded it an A for that category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. In determining our nursing ratings, we weigh both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed was short-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a solid grade of C. This actually ended up being this facility's worst area. In our short-term care score, we endeavor to forge a fair gauge for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess the facility's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. We weren't able to track down information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care patients that have suffered from a UTI. UTI's could be an indication of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 4.81% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 94.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels.
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alfredo Gonzalez Texas State Veterans Home, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Scores for Mcallen, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Mcallen, Texas has 7 other nursing homes
- Rio Grande Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.61 miles away101 E Ridge Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Proprietary(956) 632-6000
- Doctors Hospital at RenaissanceAcute Care Hospitals 5.17 miles away5501 South Mccoll Edinburg Texas 78539Physician(956) 362-8677
- Cornerstone Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.95 miles away2302 Cornerstone Boulevard Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 618-4444
- Mission Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.98 miles away900 South Bryan Road Mission Texas 78572Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 323-9000
- South Texas Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 6.27 miles away1102 W Trenton Road Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 632-4484
- Knapp Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.31 miles away1401 East Eight Street Weslaco Texas 78596Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 968-8567
- Valley Dialysis of Mcallen0.34 miles away2000 S. Cynthia Street Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 994-3374
- Usrc Mcallen Dialysis0.57 miles away1301 East Ridge Road Suite C Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 28 (956) 668-8484
- Driscoll Children's Valley Dialysis Center0.61 miles away1120 East Ridge Road Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 4 (956) 688-1220
- Dialysis Care of Mcallen1.01 miles away411 Lindberg Avenue Mcallen Texas 78501CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 687-6701
- Egonsa Dialysis, LLC1.39 miles away2500 South Jackson Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 21 (956) 664-8251
- Fresenius Medical Care River Valley Clinic1.98 miles away433 W Sam Houston Blvd Pharr Texas 78577Dialysis Stations: 16 (956) 283-0646
- Fresenius Medical Care Mcallen2.1 miles away1325 East Quebec Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (956) 682-1259
- Fresenius Medical Care Edinburg Kidney Center5.36 miles away5406 South Jackson Road Edinburg Texas 78539CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (956) 668-1208