Alexandria Place is a nursing home in Gastonia, North Carolina. This city has 102,620 people. This facility was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road rating. You can definitely do worse than this nursing home. One of the highlights of this nursing home's profile is its impressive inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a decent facility is it received a very favorable inspection grade. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received an impressive long-term care grade. As a matter of fact, we awarded it a grade of B in this category, which is one of our better. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. One of the criteria we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccines. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. This is a proven method to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the aged 65 and up population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Alexandria Place?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next highest category ended up being its short-term care grade, where it was awarded a B-. In determining our short-term care ratings, we scrutinize a facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This category is considered to be a meaningful assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. It offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. It is important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Moving on to the fourth area, we awarded this nursing home a D for the area of nursing. This was the nursing home's least impressive category grade. Our nursing rating is based on many data points. The most important one is the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients. With a meager 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, this place's nurse staffing levels were far below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these statistics to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alexandria Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alexandria Place, 10.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alexandria Place, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alexandria Place, 3.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alexandria Place, 11.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used to treat a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alexandria Place, 22.05% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alexandria Place, 3.01% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alexandria Place, 87.89% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alexandria Place, 18.87% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alexandria Place, 24.57% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alexandria Place, 24.57 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alexandria Place, 72.58% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Gastonia, NC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Gastonia, North Carolina has 6 other nursing homes
- Caromont Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.2 miles away2525 Court Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28052Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 834-4891
- Atrium Health Kings MountainAcute Care Hospitals 11.76 miles away706 W King St Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 739-3601
- Atrium Health LincolnAcute Care Hospitals 14.04 miles away433 Mcalister Rd Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Government - Hospital District or Authority(980) 212-2000
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 18.62 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.76 miles away10030 Gilead Road Huntersville North Carolina 28078Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 316-4000
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.24 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Box 33549 Charlotte North Carolina 28233Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 384-4000
- Fresenius Kidney Care North Gaston1.05 miles away1510 Lower Dallas Hwy Dallas North Carolina 28034Dialysis Stations: 12 (704) 923-8001
- Fresenius Medical Care Gastonia2.11 miles away348 Burtonwood Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28054CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (704) 864-8863
- Bma South Gaston Dialysis4.46 miles away710 West Hudson Blvd. Gastonia North Carolina 28052CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (704) 867-3417
- Belmont Dialysis Center7.35 miles away5010 Medical Care Court Belmont North Carolina 28012Dialysis Stations: 18 (704) 827-2931
- Bma Kings Mountain9.9 miles away604 Canterbury Rd Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Dialysis Stations: 18 (704) 730-1270
- Dialysis Clinic Inc Kings Mountain12.2 miles away1010 Shelby Road Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Dialysis Stations: 15 (704) 739-9342
- Fmc Lincolnton Dialysis12.41 miles away1090 S Grove Street Ext Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Dialysis Stations: 30 (704) 736-9300
- Davita Brookshire13.64 miles away5601 Tuckaseegee Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28208Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 395-6091