Alden Long Grove is one of just three available nursing homes in Lake Zurich, Illinois. We awarded this facility an overall grade of D. A score of this caliber typically suggests some red flags. Keep in mind that Lake Zurich received a city grade of B-, so should look at some other options in the city as well. If you aren't deterred by this place's report card, you can continue reading to learn more about its category grades. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Alden Long Grove
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
2308 Old Hicks Road,
Lake Zurich IL 60047
61.86% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not rate this facility favorably overall, we want to point out its relatively favorable inspections in recent years. We gave it a B+ in this area, which is much better than its overall grade. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively minor. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
We also awarded this facility a grade of C for our nursing rating. When determining a nursing home's nursing grade, we look at the amount of time nurses are caring for patients and the level of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, our nursing ratings also consider quality-based assessments, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Alden Long Grove ?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of long-term care, this nursing home was awarded a grade of just D in that category. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Thankfully, this facility vaccinated 96.037735 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable figure. Surprisingly, this facility also fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we scored was short-term care. This facility received a very poor grade of F in this category. Short-term care grades are typically employed to judge a facility's rehabilitation services. To offer high-end rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must feature better levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. Based on its grade in this category, we weren't surprised to find that this facility was well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the measures we looked at. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 3.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alden Long Grove Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alden Long Grove , 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alden Long Grove , 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alden Long Grove , 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alden Long Grove , 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care residents which were given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alden Long Grove , 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents which are administered antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alden Long Grove , 30.45% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alden Long Grove , 87.4% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alden Long Grove , 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alden Long Grove , 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Alden Long Grove , 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alden Long Grove , 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alden Long Grove , 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alden Long Grove , 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 7.11 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Advocate Condell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.18 miles away801 S Milwaukee Ave Libertyville Illinois 60048Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 362-2900
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.31 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- Northwestern Lake Forest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.07 miles away1000 N Westmoreland Road Lake Forest Illinois 60045Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 234-5600
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.26 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 11.35 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.41 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 13.03 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- Fmc - Palatine Dialysis Center2.04 miles away691 East Dundee Road Palatine Illinois 60074CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (847) 963-4299
- Davita - Buffalo Grove Dialysis2.6 miles away1291 West Dundee Road Buffalo Grove Illinois 60089CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 253-9400
- Fmc - Mundelein5.42 miles away1402 Townline Road Mundelein Illinois 60060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 949-3904
- Davita - Lake County Dialysis Services Inc5.46 miles away565 Lakeview Pkwy Ste 176 Vernon Hills Illinois 60061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (847) 918-0592
- Fmc - Rolling Meadows5.78 miles away4180 Winnetka Ave. Rolling Meadows Illinois 60008CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (847) 394-6250
- Davita - Arlington Heights Dialysis8.37 miles away17 W Golf Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 437-2188
- Davita - Barrington Creek8.4 miles away28160 W. Northwest Hwy, Suite 104 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 381-1325
- Fmc - Mount Prospect8.67 miles away1710 West Golf Road Mount Prospect Illinois 60056Dialysis Stations: 8 (847) 640-7101