Alden Estates of Evanston is located in Evanston, Illinois. Sporting an overall grade of B+, this nursing home should work for most people. This ought to be on your short list in Evanston as we ranked it as one of the three highest rated nursing homes in the city. This nursing home was better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Alden Estates of Evanston
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be relatively minor. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A couple relatively minor dings aren't necessarily something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility really excelled in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of A. Only a select group of facilities performed more favorably in this category. Short-term care grades are meaningful for patients seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 6.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Alden Estates of Evanston?
This facility's next best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of B-. While this didn't quite match its scores in some of the categories discussed above, this is still a decent score. Nursing scores are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a somewhat concerning figure as it is well below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth category, this facility was awarded a decent long-term care grade. Even though this was not quite as strong as some of its other scores, this is really nothing to be ashamed of. In forming our long-term care scores, we quantify the nursing home's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccines. Thankfully, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. This place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alden Estates of Evanston Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alden Estates of Evanston, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alden Estates of Evanston, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alden Estates of Evanston, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alden Estates of Evanston, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alden Estates of Evanston, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alden Estates of Evanston, 30.45% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing depressive symptoms. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alden Estates of Evanston, 87.4% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alden Estates of Evanston, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alden Estates of Evanston, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alden Estates of Evanston, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alden Estates of Evanston, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alden Estates of Evanston, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Evanston, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Evanston, Illinois has 6 other nursing homes
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 2.39 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.54 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.7 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 6.9 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 7.57 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.85 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Fmc - Midamerica Evanston0.65 miles away2953 Central St 1st Floor Evanston Illinois 60201Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 869-9436
- Fmc - Skokie Dialysis1.61 miles away9801 Woods Dr Skokie Illinois 60076Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 581-1620
- Davita - Evanston Renal Center2.15 miles away1922 Dempster Street Evanston Illinois 60202CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 869-5047
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC3.45 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555
- Fmc - Rogers Park3.73 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Davita - Big Oaks Dialysis4.06 miles away5623 W. Touhy Avenue Niles Illinois 60714Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 647-3140
- Glen Dialysis5.27 miles away2601 Compass Road Suite 145 Glenview Illinois 60026Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 657-7574
- Fmc - Niles5.41 miles away9371 Milwaukee Ave. Niles Illinois 60714CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (847) 581-0334