With an address in Cedar Grove, New Jersey, Alaris Health at Cedar Grove is one of five available facilities in the city. This nursing home proved to be an A rated facility, which is one of the highest scores we offer. We rated this nursing home in the top 100 nursing homes in New Jersey, which is a distinguished list. As you will see below, this place also performed just fine in our category scores. It is hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Alaris Health at Cedar Grove
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this place ended up being a great nursing home is it received an A+ inspection grade. This is just about as good as it gets in this area. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this category tend to have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This exemplary nursing home also performed well in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a score of A+. Only a small group of facilities performed better in this area. Our short-term care grades are based on the nursing home's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a broad scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 6.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Alaris Health at Cedar Grove?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing rating features numerous datapoints. The most heavily weighted one is the number of hours nurses spend with patients. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was long-term care, in which this nursing home was given a B. This actually is this facility's least impressive area. A facility could be doing a lot worse when their poorest score still is better than most nursing homes. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are well cared for. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alaris Health at Cedar Grove Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alaris Health at Cedar Grove, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alaris Health at Cedar Grove, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who experienced falls resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alaris Health at Cedar Grove, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alaris Health at Cedar Grove, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alaris Health at Cedar Grove, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alaris Health at Cedar Grove, 5.81% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alaris Health at Cedar Grove, 92% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alaris Health at Cedar Grove, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Many would argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alaris Health at Cedar Grove, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Alaris Health at Cedar Grove, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to preserving the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alaris Health at Cedar Grove, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alaris Health at Cedar Grove, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alaris Health at Cedar Grove, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Cedar Grove, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Cedar Grove, New Jersey has 4 other nursing homes
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 0.18 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.2 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.72 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.92 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.82 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Chilton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.51 miles away97 West Parkway Pompton Plains New Jersey 07444Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 831-5000
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.27 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- Fresenius Medical Care North Montclair2.05 miles away114 Valley Road Montclair New Jersey 07042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 744-2058
- Mountainside Hospital2.22 miles awayDialysis Unit 1 Bay Avenue Montclair New Jersey 07042Dialysis Stations: 30 (973) 429-6767
- St. Joseph's Wayne Dialysis2.89 miles away57 Willowbrook Blvd Wayne New Jersey 07470Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 890-2792
- Woodland Park Dialysis Center3.77 miles away1225 Mcbride Ave Suite 100 Little Falls New Jersey 07424CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 890-2394
- Fmc Bloomfield Dc4.22 miles away206 Belleville Avenue Bloomfield New Jersey 07003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 680-8100
- Total Renal Care, Inc West Orange Dialysis4.24 miles away375 Mount Pleasant Avenue Ste 340 West Orange New Jersey 07052Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 243-7069
- Physicians Dialysis Passaic4.88 miles away10 Clifton Blvd Clifton New Jersey 07011CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (973) 594-9100
- St. Joseph's Sjrmc Dialysis5.2 miles away703 Main Street r2n Paterson New Jersey 07503Dialysis Stations: 8 (973) 754-3570