Afton Oaks Nursing Center is in the densely populated metropolitan area of Houston, Texas with a total of 2,906,700 people. This facility received an overall grade of F. Fortunately, if you aren't satisfied with this facility, there are 60 nursing homes to choose from in the city so you should be able to find a better option. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Afton Oaks Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
7514 Kingsley St,
Houston TX 77087
64.02% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are quite minor. This nursing home was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to resident safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
We were also stunned to find that this nursing home received a decent short-term care rating this year. We gave it a grade of C in that area. In computing our short-term care ratings, we analyze a facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This score is frequently a solid measure of the facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The more important thing is determining what bearing this had on quality of care. The final statistic we looked at in this category is the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Afton Oaks Nursing Center?
We were surprised to find that this facility also excelled in nursing. We awarded it an impressive grade of D for that category, which is one of our highest grades. The nursing category consists of quite a few factors, many of which are based on nursing hours. This nursing home offered only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This place performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these datapoints to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next area, this nursing home really did not fare well here either. Due to a bottom of the barrel grade of F in long-term care, this is really as terrible as it gets. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in long-term care may not provide the type of consistent around the clock care that some other nursing homes offer. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. We were somewhat surprised to discover that this facility vaccinated only 86.124405 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Afton Oaks Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents which have suffered a fall which caused major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term residents who suffered from UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used to treat a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 4.81% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 94.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 59 other nursing homes
- Harris Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.71 miles away2525 Holly Hall Houston Texas 77054Government - Hospital District or Authority(713) 566-6417
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.08 miles away1401 St. Joseph Parkway Houston Texas 77002Proprietary(713) 757-1000
- Chi St Luke's Health Baylor College of Medicine MeAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away7200 Cambridge, 11th Floor Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Church(832) 355-1000
- Park Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.23 miles away1313 Hermann Dr Houston Texas 77004Proprietary(713) 527-5019
- Womans Hospital of Texas,TheAcute Care Hospitals 6.56 miles away7600 Fannin Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 790-1234
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.59 miles away6411 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 704-3700
- Sun Behavioral HoustonPsychiatric 6.61 miles away7601 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 795-5025
- Houston Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.68 miles away6565 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 790-2221
- Gulfgate Kidney Center1.05 miles away2916 Woodridge Drive Houston Texas 77087Dialysis Stations: 28 (346) 772-0517
- Davita Physicians Dialysis South Houston2.2 miles away5989 South Loop East Houston Texas 77033Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 641-6130
- Southeast Kidney Center2.3 miles away8537 Gulf Freeway Bldg A Houston Texas 77017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (713) 947-9564
- Lone Star Dialysis3.38 miles away8560 Monroe Houston Texas 77061CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (713) 378-6094
- Central Houston Dialysis3.48 miles away610 South Wayside Suite B Houston Texas 77011Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 928-8188
- Fmc Sunnyside3.92 miles away8340 Coffee Houston Texas 77033Dialysis Stations: 25 (713) 731-7027
- Clutch City Dialysis Center4.17 miles away5910 Scott Street Suite A Houston Texas 77021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 748-0554
- Baylor College of Medicine-Scott Street Dialysis4.19 miles away6120 Scott Street, Suite F Houston Texas 77021CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 741-7059