Afton Oaks Nursing Center is in the densely populated metropolitan area of Houston, Texas with a total of 2,906,700 people. This facility received an overall grade of F. Fortunately, if you aren't satisfied with this facility, there are 60 nursing homes to choose from in the city so you should be able to find a better option. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Afton Oaks Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of C. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are quite minor. This nursing home was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were in categories G through L. This tells you that this facility dodged the more significant classes of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an C. Our nursing grade analyzes the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the number of hours spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This figure is far below the national average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics. Although this nursing home got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of these quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared well in this statistic. This is often an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of turning a resident more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Afton Oaks Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Tragically, we gave this facility an F for its short-term care score. In determining our short-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This area is considered to be a useful measure of the facility's rehabilitation. Not surprisingly, we found that this facility provides substantially less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the typical nursing home. The last metric we assessed in this area is the number of patients who returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3 percent of its patients returning home. This was quite a bit below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed was long-term care, in which this nursing home was given a poor score in this area as well. Unfortunately, we gave it an F for this category, which is definitely very concerning. Facilities that don't fare well in this category typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine healthcare services we looked at. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. Candidly, we were a bit concerned this nursing home vaccinated 87.80488 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is several points lower than what we were hoping for. Surprisingly, this facility was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Afton Oaks Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents who sustained UTI's. While more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 4.66% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 94.73% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels. Many would argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' physical and mental health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Afton Oaks Nursing Center, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 59 other nursing homes
- Harris Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.71 miles away2525 Holly Hall Houston Texas 77054Government - Hospital District or Authority(713) 566-6417
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.08 miles away1401 St. Joseph Parkway Houston Texas 77002Proprietary(713) 757-1000
- Chi St Luke's Health Baylor College of Medicine MeAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away7200 Cambridge, 11th Floor Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Church(832) 355-1000
- Park Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.23 miles away1313 Hermann Dr Houston Texas 77004Proprietary(713) 527-5019
- Womans Hospital of Texas,TheAcute Care Hospitals 6.56 miles away7600 Fannin Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 790-1234
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.59 miles away6411 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 704-3700
- Sun Behavioral HoustonPsychiatric 6.61 miles away7601 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 795-5025
- Houston Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.68 miles away6565 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 790-2221
- Gulfgate Kidney Center1.05 miles away2916 Woodridge Drive Houston Texas 77087Dialysis Stations: 28 (346) 772-0517
- Davita Physicians Dialysis South Houston2.2 miles away5989 South Loop East Houston Texas 77033Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 641-6130
- Southeast Kidney Center2.3 miles away8537 Gulf Freeway Bldg A Houston Texas 77017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (713) 947-9564
- Lone Star Dialysis3.38 miles away8560 Monroe Houston Texas 77061CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (713) 378-6094
- Central Houston Dialysis3.48 miles away610 South Wayside Suite B Houston Texas 77011Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 928-8188
- Fmc Sunnyside3.92 miles away8340 Coffee Houston Texas 77033Dialysis Stations: 25 (713) 731-7027
- Clutch City Dialysis Center4.17 miles away5910 Scott Street Suite A Houston Texas 77021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 748-0554
- Baylor College of Medicine-Scott Street Dialysis4.19 miles away6120 Scott Street, Suite F Houston Texas 77021CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 741-7059