Advantage Living Center - Northwest is in the large metropolitan area of Detroit, Michigan. This facility received a bottom of the barrel overall grade based on the data we assessed. If you are not satisfied with this facility's mediocre overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are five other nursing homes in Detroit. Surprisingly, we were able to give this nursing home some positive feedback for our inspections category, which you can find more information about below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Advantage Living Center - Northwest
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
16181 Hubbell St,
Detroit MI 48235
73.83% estimated occupancy 1
Please note our records indicate that Advantage Living Center - Northwest has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Although we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it actually received a very impressive inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our more favorable scores in that area with a B+. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are relatively minor. This place was assessed 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This means that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to resident health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. In that category, we awarded this facility an D. Our nursing grade includes a number of factors. The most heavily weighted factor is the quantity of hours nurses spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This facility performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Advantage Living Center - Northwest?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second worse score is long-term care, where it earned a grade of just D in that category. This is a well below average score. Long-term care scores in this range generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids, as well as the levels of routine medical care available. After we finished looking at the quantity of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 57.37705 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we rated is short-term care. Sadly, it received a lowly F for this area, which is a bottom of the barrel score. Short-term care scores are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. As you might expect, we learned that this facility offers far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the average facility. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Advantage Living Center - Northwest Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 8.87% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 2.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 2.23% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients that have experienced a UTI. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 13.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 19.66% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 3.38% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 91.02% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 12.09% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 13.78% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who maintained mobility. Many argue that mobility is important for residents' physical and mental health.
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 1.65 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 13.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 11.28 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 77.57% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 5 other nursing homes
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.79 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.48 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.12 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 7.24 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 7.46 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.8 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 7.97 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.27 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Davita - Schaefer Dr1.05 miles away18100 Schaefer Hwy Detroit Michigan 48235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (313) 861-4354
- Greenfield Hs - Northwest Detroit1.46 miles away7800 W Outer Dr Suite l10 Detroit Michigan 48235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (313) 270-9239
- Detroit Kidney Center LLC1.72 miles away13437 Schaefer Hwy Detroit Michigan 48227Dialysis Stations: 20 (313) 270-2709
- Fmc Dialysis - Northwest Detroit1.98 miles away18944 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 837-1530
- Davita Wyoming Street Dialysis2.12 miles away13945 Wyoming St Detroit Michigan 48238Dialysis Stations: 13 (313) 931-5230
- Northwest Detroit Dialysis Center LLC2.63 miles away21000 Northwestern Hwy Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (248) 557-7000
- Fmc Dialysis - University2.72 miles away18430 Livernois Ave Detroit Michigan 48221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 341-4366
- Davita - Greenview2.94 miles away18544 Eight Mile Road Southfield Michigan 48075Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 569-1729