Advantage Living Center - Northwest is in the large metropolitan area of Detroit, Michigan. We gave this facility an overall grade of B-, which is middle of the road score. Although a score in this range is not our highest grade, this is ranked among the ten best facilities in Detroit. Even in a city of 26 other nursing homes, this nursing home should be a respectable choice. The best part of this nursing home's profile was is its nursing score. Nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Advantage Living Center - Northwest
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home really excelled in the area of nursing, where it received an A-. Our nursing score considers a variety of datapoints. The most important factor is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a system of moving a patient at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was given its next best category grade in the area of short-term care. We awarded this facility a B- in this category, which is a reasonably acceptable grade. Our short-term care ratings are critical for patients requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires more highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last statistic we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 4.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Advantage Living Center - Northwest?
We also found that this facility has received favorable inspections in recent years. In fact, we awarded it a B- in this category. This is better than many facilities in this category. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple relatively minor dings are not something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
Our last area is long-term care, where we gave this facility a C in this category. In a long-term care environment, the primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 70.48346 percent of its patients. This is many points less than what we expected. Fortunately, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Advantage Living Center - Northwest Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 8.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 2.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percent of long-term stay patients which have had a urinary tract infection. While more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 13.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat several medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 18.73% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 3.47% of Patients
This is the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression could indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 91.4% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 12.4% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 19.67% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility. Many argue that mobility is important for residents' mental and physical health.
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 19.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 10.71 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Advantage Living Center - Northwest, 76.5% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 25 other nursing homes
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.79 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.48 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.12 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 7.24 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 7.46 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.8 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 7.97 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.27 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Davita - Schaefer Dr1.05 miles away18100 Schaefer Hwy Detroit Michigan 48235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (313) 861-4354
- Greenfield Hs - Northwest Detroit1.46 miles away7800 W Outer Dr Suite l10 Detroit Michigan 48235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (313) 270-9239
- Detroit Kidney Center LLC1.72 miles away13437 Schaefer Hwy Detroit Michigan 48227Dialysis Stations: 20 (313) 270-2709
- Fmc Dialysis - Northwest Detroit1.98 miles away18944 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 837-1530
- Davita Wyoming Street Dialysis2.12 miles away13945 Wyoming St Detroit Michigan 48238Dialysis Stations: 13 (313) 931-5230
- Northwest Detroit Dialysis Center LLC2.63 miles away21000 Northwestern Hwy Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (248) 557-7000
- Fmc Dialysis - University2.72 miles away18430 Livernois Ave Detroit Michigan 48221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 341-4366
- Davita - Greenview2.94 miles away18544 Eight Mile Road Southfield Michigan 48075Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 569-1729