Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Narvon, Pennsylvania. This turns out to be a well above average facility, with an overall grade of B+. Based on our assessment, you could do much worse than this place. This facility was better in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2499 Zerbe Road,
Narvon PA 17555
82.98% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with a favorable overall grade, we awarded this facility an A+ for our inspections rating. Arguably the most important factor we look at in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this category most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Our nursing score is largely tied to a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 3.9 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is higher than what is offered by most nursing homes. Finally, this place was also above average in each of the major quality measures we looked at in this category. For example, it performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. These areas are generally reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Does this page answer your questions about Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a favorable short-term care grade. Indeed, we gave it an above average grade of B in this category. In the category of short-term care, we try to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. This nursing home provides a decent amount of services from physical therapists and registered nurses based on our assessment. The last metric we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. It was above average in this area with 52.9 percent of its residents returning home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed proved to be this nursing home's weakest category. However, even in its worst category we still awarded it a decent grade of B- for our long-term care category. Our long-term care grade focuses on a nursing home's personal care rather than the skilled therapy or healthcare services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. In addition to offering above average levels of nursing care, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. This combination proved to be effective as this facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center, 7.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that are suffering from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center, 15.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications are used for several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center, 19.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center, 3.38% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center, 89.35% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center, 15.62% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center, 23.88% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels.
In Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center, 23.88 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center, 8.79 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Zerbe Sisters Nursing Center, 72.17% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Reading HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.25 miles away420 S 5th Avenue Reading Pennsylvania 19611Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 988-8000
- Wellspan Ephrata Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.67 miles away169 Martin Avenue Ephrata Pennsylvania 17522Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 733-0311
- Brandywine HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.54 miles away201 Reeceville Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Proprietary(610) 383-8000
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.6 miles away2500 Bernville Road Reading Pennsylvania 19605Voluntary non-profit - Church(610) 378-2000
- Pottstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.21 miles away1600 East High Street Pottstown Pennsylvania 19464Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 327-7000
- Upmc LititzAcute Care Hospitals 19.38 miles away1500 Highlands Drive Lititz Pennsylvania 17543Proprietary(717) 625-5670
- Davita - Ephrata9.31 miles away67 West Church Street Stevens Pennsylvania 17578CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 335-7399
- Pennsylvania Dialysis Clinic of Reading12.45 miles away625 Spring Street Reading Pennsylvania 19610CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (610) 375-1215
- Reading Dialysis Center12.6 miles away965 Berkshire Boulevard Reading Pennsylvania 19610CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (610) 370-5323
- Usrc Coatesville, LLC13.17 miles away160 Airport Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 383-4569
- Granue Dialysis, LLC13.48 miles away1129 West Lincoln Highway Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 383-3866
- Davita - Thorndale Dialysis15.49 miles away3243 Lincoln Highway Thorndale Pennsylvania 19372CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 384-3902
- Physicians Dialysis of Lancaster, LLC15.54 miles away345 W. Main St., Suite 202 Leola Pennsylvania 17540Dialysis Stations: 13 (717) 556-0080
- Fresenius Kidney Care Reading, LLC16.14 miles away1001 Reed Avenue Building E, Suite 410 Reading Pennsylvania 19610Dialysis Stations: 11 (610) 378-7963