Located in Los Angeles, California, York Healthcare & Wellness Centre is one of 75 facilities here. This facility received an overall grade of C, which is a respectable rating. Based on our analysis, this place likely wouldn't be a bad choice. This place is better in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
York Healthcare & Wellness Centre
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home's overall score was bolstered by the fact that it has received favorable health inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our better scores in this area, with a B+. This is a notably better grade than the nursing home's overall score. Our inspection scores are based on many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's short-term care grade is one of its more favorable grades. The nursing home was given a grade of B- in this area. In our short-term care rating, we endeavor to forge a valuable gauge for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at the nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. We found that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. The facility provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about York Healthcare & Wellness Centre?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of B-. Our nursing score is based on the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of skill of those nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a low total compared to most other nursing homes. Finally, our nursing grades also consider quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often a reliable indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Some falls could be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses to assist its residents.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our fourth category, this facility received a respectable long-term care grade of B-. Long-term care ratings are based on the facility's quantity of nursing services. This includes a vast scope of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. This place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
York Healthcare & Wellness Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In York Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In York Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In York Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term patients which experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In York Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term stay patients who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In York Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In York Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In York Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In York Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In York Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who maintained mobility.
In York Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In York Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In York Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In York Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.34 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.34 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.13 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.18 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.79 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.08 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 6.07 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.14 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Huntington Dialysis Center2.29 miles away806 S. Fair Oaks Avenue Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (626) 792-0548
- Fmc-Liberty West Pasadena2.37 miles away757 S. Raymond Avenue Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 396-6957
- Fmc-Arroyo Dialysis Center2.44 miles away1111 S. Arroyo Parkway, Suite 150 Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 441-9500
- Davita-Huntington Dialysis2.56 miles away390 S. Fair Oaks Blvd. Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 564-2818
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis3.38 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- Davita-North Glendale3.42 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Fmc-Alhambra3.61 miles away2300 W. Valley Blvd. Alhambra California 91803Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 458-4726
- Fmc-San Gabriel Dialysis Center3.77 miles away1801 W. Valley Blvd., Suite 102 Alhambra California 91803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (626) 457-9002