Workmens Circle Multicare Center is a very-large nursing home located in Bronx, New York. With an overall rating of B, this is a very respectable nursing home. Even in a city with 44 nursing homes, this nursing home ought to be a fine choice. The best aspect of this facility's strong report card was its inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Workmens Circle Multicare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Bronx senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a strong facility is that it received a very impressive inspection grade. In fact, inspections is its best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility an A+. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this category most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so well is that it received a strong long-term care score. Indeed, long-term care is its second highest category grade. In that category, we gave this nursing home a score of A-. Facilities that receive this kind of score in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are well cared for. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 99.881516 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Workmens Circle Multicare Center?
This nursing home's next best category was nursing. We awarded it a grade of C in this category. While this wasn't quite as good as some of its other category grades, this isn't a bad score either. Nursing scores are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, our nursing grades also consider quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually a reliable indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed was short-term care. For this category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. Short-term care grades are typically used to grade a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to have highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 4 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Workmens Circle Multicare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Workmens Circle Multicare Center, 9% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Workmens Circle Multicare Center, 2.13% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Workmens Circle Multicare Center, 0.81% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Workmens Circle Multicare Center, 6.68% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for a variety of conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Workmens Circle Multicare Center, 2.64% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Workmens Circle Multicare Center, 10.62% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Workmens Circle Multicare Center, 98.51% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Workmens Circle Multicare Center, 21.84% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating. Some believe this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Workmens Circle Multicare Center, 15.57% of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Workmens Circle Multicare Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Workmens Circle Multicare Center, 15.57% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Workmens Circle Multicare Center, 9.15% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Workmens Circle Multicare Center, 90.67% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 43 other nursing homes
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.3 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.24 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.69 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.25 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.78 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.6 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.9 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Workmen's Circle Dialysis Center0.02 miles away3155 Grace Avenue Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 379-8100
- Davita Laconia Dialysis0.61 miles away3440 Boston Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 798-0538
- Davita Boston Post Road Dialysis Center0.79 miles away4026 Boston Road Bronx New York 10475CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 862-9245
- Kings Harbor Health Services LLC1.01 miles away2020 East Gun Hill Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 9 (718) 320-1335
- Davita Hutchinson River Dialysis1.01 miles away2331 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 19 (718) 547-0612
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc1.51 miles away3525 White Plains Road, Suite B Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 547-4562
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc1.51 miles away3525 White Plains Road Ste. A Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 652-1013
- Davita Sandford Boulevard Dialysis1.67 miles away120 E. Sanford Blvd Mount Vernon New York 10550Dialysis Stations: 8 (914) 665-2035