Woodward Hills Nursing Center is a facility in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, a city with a population of 45,496 people. This nursing home was awarded an uninspiring overall grade of D, which is a well below average rating. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Bloomfield Hills. The city has just one other nursing home. Based on the data we looked at, this place's only redeeming feature is its short-term care score, which you can find additional information about below.
Woodward Hills Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we were not very high on this facility overall, we gave it an A- for short-term care. This score is much more impressive than its overall score, which could have been even worse without this category. In the category of short-term care, we seek to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. We were not able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 7.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
This facility didn't receive favorable inspection reports in recent years. In fact, it received a D for its inspection grade, which was unfortunately its second best category. One of the more important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. We would pay close attention to the level of severity of those deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with a category G through L deficiency, which are among the more severe deficiencies. This generally indicates that the deficiencies uncovered by inspectors had potential to cause actual harm to residents. Finally, we need to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home received large government fines of more than $100,000. This generally means that a nursing home'sbad performance has been an issue for several years.
Does this page answer your questions about Woodward Hills Nursing Center?
Unfortunately, this facility only received a grade of D for its nursing grade, which was actually one of its better category grades. We assessed the qualifications of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours the nurses were with patients, in determining our score in this area. This facility averaged just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This number is far below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored was long-term care. This facility was given an abysmal grade of F in that category. If you are seeking anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care scores. After we finished assessing the volume of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. We were optimistic to find that this facility vaccinates 98.73418 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Woodward Hills Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Woodward Hills Nursing Center, 8.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Woodward Hills Nursing Center, 2.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Woodward Hills Nursing Center, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. More frequent bathing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Woodward Hills Nursing Center, 13.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Woodward Hills Nursing Center, 18.73% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Woodward Hills Nursing Center, 3.47% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Woodward Hills Nursing Center, 91.4% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Woodward Hills Nursing Center, 12.4% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Woodward Hills Nursing Center, 19.67% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Woodward Hills Nursing Center, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Woodward Hills Nursing Center, 19.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Woodward Hills Nursing Center, 10.71 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Woodward Hills Nursing Center, 76.5% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- St Joseph Mercy OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 3.03 miles away44405 Woodward Ave Pontiac Michigan 48341Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 858-3000
- Mclaren OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 4.84 miles away50 N Perry St Pontiac Michigan 48342Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 338-5000
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 4.9 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Ascension Providence Rochester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.48 miles away1101 W University Drive Rochester Michigan 48307Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 652-5000
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.5 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.95 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 10.35 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.41 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Davita - Orchard Square Dialysis2.38 miles away1900 S Telegraph Rd Ste 200 Bloomfield Hills Michigan 48302Dialysis Stations: 20 (248) 451-0954
- Greenfield Hs - Pontiac2.94 miles away44200 Woodward Ave Ste 109 Pontiac Michigan 48341CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 322-7253
- Davita - Starrwood Dialysis4.87 miles away3425 Starr Rd Ste B Royal Oak Michigan 48073Dialysis Stations: 17 (248) 549-0208
- Greenfield Hs - Troy5.09 miles away2050 Livernois, Suite A Troy Michigan 48083Dialysis Stations: 16 (248) 524-1270
- Davita - North Oakland Dialysis5.27 miles away450 N Telegraph Rd Ste 600 Pontiac Michigan 48341CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (248) 333-2230
- Rochester Hills Dialysis of Davita5.37 miles away1886 W Auburn Rd Suite 100 Rochester Michigan 48309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (248) 299-7901
- Davita West Bloomfield Dialysis5.6 miles away6010 W Maple Rd Ste 215 West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Dialysis Stations: 10 (248) 539-1025
- Nw Detroit Dialysis - Lahser Satellite5.81 miles away25664 Lahser Road Southfield Michigan 48034CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 358-7521