Woods Health Services is a small non-profit nursing home located in La Verne, California. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B, which is a very respectable rating. In our view, this facility looks like a solid choice for quite a few people. The best aspect of this facility's strong profile was its nursing score. Nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Woods Health Services
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
2600 a Street,
La Verne CA 91750
60.54% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in La Verne, California Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in La Verne, California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in La Verne, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned a strong overall grade as described above, but we especially wanted to point out its excellent nursing score. We awarded them an A- in this area. The nursing grade includes a number of factors. The most important variable is the number of hours nurses spend with patients. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's above average category grades came in the area of short-term care. We awarded them one of our higher grades in that area, with a score of B+. Our short-term care scores are probably more important for individuals in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more skilled nursing. This means not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final statistic we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Woods Health Services?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility earned a grade of B for its inspections rating. This is a well above average score in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively insignificant. This place was assessed 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of these deficiencies an immediate threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is long-term care. This nursing home was given a grade of B- for the area. In the area of long-term care, we analyze the quantity of care provided by a nursing home, rather than more medically-intensive services. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 87.5 percent of its patients. This is pretty significantly lower than what we expected. On a more positive note, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Woods Health Services Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Woods Health Services, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Woods Health Services, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Woods Health Services, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Woods Health Services, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Woods Health Services, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Woods Health Services, 5.83% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Woods Health Services, 95.65% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Woods Health Services, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing. Some experts argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Woods Health Services, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Woods Health Services, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Woods Health Services, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Woods Health Services, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.32 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.44 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Montclair Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.93 miles away5000 San Bernardino St Montclair California 91763Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 625-8300
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.45 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Chino Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.54 miles away5451 Walnut Ave Chino California 91710Proprietary(909) 627-6111
- San Antonio Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.91 miles away999 San Bernardino Road Upland California 91786Voluntary non-profit - Other(714) 985-2811
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 15.48 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Pomona Dialysis Center, Inc.1.47 miles away255 E. Bonita Avenue, Building 1 Ste 200 Pomona California 91767Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 784-2949
- San Dimas Dialysis Center, Inc.1.82 miles away1335 Cypress Street, Suite 102 San Dimas California 91773CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 542-2802
- Fmc-Garey Dialysis Center Partnership1.86 miles away150 E. Arrow Highway Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (909) 593-5863
- Davita-Pomona Dialysis1.89 miles away2111 N. Garey Avenue Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 596-9997
- Davita-Montclair Dialysis Center4.57 miles away9142 Monte Vista Ave Montclair California 91763CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (909) 626-6505
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Glendora5.33 miles away638 S. Glendora Avenue Glendora California 91740CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 914-5553
- Fmc-Rai-W. Foothill Blvd-Glendora5.67 miles away120 W. Foothill Blvd. Glendora California 91740CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (626) 335-7551
- Davita-Upland Colonies Dialysis5.98 miles away587 N. Mountain Avenue Upland California 91786Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 931-4515