Woodhaven Nursing Home is a large nursing home located in Port Jefferson Station, New York. This is a good nursing home. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a respectable rating. This facility definitely has plenty going for it. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile was its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Woodhaven Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Port Jefferson Station senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this facility also earned first-rate government inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our best scores in this area, with an A+. Inspection ratings are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility received impressive scores in the area of long-term care as well. Indeed, it received one of our most favorable grades in that area with a area of A-. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it generally means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 94.28571 percent of its residents, which is higher than the average nursing home. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Woodhaven Nursing Home?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next highest category turned out to be its short-term care score, where it received a B-. Short-term care grades are meaningful for residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional skilled nursing services. This means a vast spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 5.2 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well below the national average.
The final category we analyzed is nursing. We awarded this facility a grade of D for the area of nursing, rendering this its least impressive category grade. In calculating our nursing grades, we look at both staffing levels and the skill levels of the nurses. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also looked at a few quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This place was above average in two of the major metrics we focus on, with solid scores for minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. These statistics are typically reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care available.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Woodhaven Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 5.93% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 3.08% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 2.51% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. More frequent bathing can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 17.97% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used to treat several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 14.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 7.57% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Some would argue that this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 95.01% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 11.94% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 19.75% of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 19.75% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 18.07% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 88.84% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.88 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.17 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 15.27 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.19 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Peconic Bay Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.7 miles away1300 Roanoke Avenue Riverhead New York 11901Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 548-6000
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.94 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Fms-Central Suffolk Akc0.91 miles away5225 Nesconset Highway Unit #72 - Bldg.9 Port Jefferson Station New York 11776CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 331-5600
- Stony Brook Kidney Center, Dci2.76 miles away26 Research Way East Setauket New York 11733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 444-0502
- Coram Dialysis Center4.79 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- Davita Medford Kidney Center6.54 miles away1725 North Ocean Avenue Medford New York 11763CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (631) 289-8000
- Long Island Community Hospital9.85 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Dialysis Stations: 6 (631) 654-7160
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr10.28 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707
- Long Island Community Hospital10.45 miles away109 West Main Street Dialysis Satellite Patchogue New York 11772CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 687-2828
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center12.21 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605