Woodhaven Nursing Home is a large nursing home located in Port Jefferson Station, New York. This is a very good nursing home. We awarded this it an overall grade of B+, which is a well above average rating. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top third of all facilities in the country. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile was its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
Woodhaven Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1360 Route 112,
Port Jefferson Station NY 11776
80.06% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this facility also earned first-rate government inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our best scores in this area, with an A. Inspection ratings are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home truly excelled in the area of long-term care, where it received a score of A. Only a select group of facilities performed better in this category. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 85.23077 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be slightly lower than we expected but still a respectable figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, at least this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Woodhaven Nursing Home?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this area. The nursing grade weighs numerous subcategories. The most important one is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a system of moving a patient even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last category, this facility was awarded a decent short-term care rating. Even though this isn't as elite as several of its other grades, this is really not a poor grade. In crafting our short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to create a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Woodhaven Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic may be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 13.2% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 91.26% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that retained mobility levels. Some argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.88 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.17 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 15.27 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.19 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Peconic Bay Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.7 miles away1300 Roanoke Avenue Riverhead New York 11901Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 548-6000
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.94 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Fms-Central Suffolk Akc0.91 miles away5225 Nesconset Highway Unit #72 - Bldg.9 Port Jefferson Station New York 11776CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 331-5600
- Stony Brook Kidney Center, Dci2.76 miles away26 Research Way East Setauket New York 11733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 444-0502
- Coram Dialysis Center4.79 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- Davita Medford Kidney Center6.54 miles away1725 North Ocean Avenue Medford New York 11763CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (631) 289-8000
- Long Island Community Hospital9.85 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Dialysis Stations: 6 (631) 654-7160
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr10.28 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707
- Long Island Community Hospital10.45 miles away109 West Main Street Dialysis Satellite Patchogue New York 11772CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 687-2828
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center12.21 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605