Woodhaven Nursing Home is a large nursing home located in Port Jefferson Station, New York. This is a good nursing home. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a respectable rating. This facility definitely has plenty going for it. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile was its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
Woodhaven Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this facility also earned first-rate government inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our best scores in this area, with an A. Inspection ratings are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home truly excelled in the area of long-term care, where it received a score of A. Only a select group of facilities performed better in this category. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 89.576546 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be slightly lower than we expected but still a respectable figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, at least this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Woodhaven Nursing Home?
This nursing home's next best category was nursing. We awarded it a grade of C in this category. While this wasn't quite as good as some of its other category grades, this isn't a bad score either. The nursing grade weighs numerous subcategories. The most important one is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures. Although this place got docked a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of these quality measures. With less than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it performed remarkably well in this statistic. This is typically a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a policy of moving patients even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was short-term care. We awarded this facility a D in our short-term care category, making this its worst category. In computing these short-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to devise a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. We found that this place was subpar in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the staffing figures we looked at. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4.5 percent of its residents returning home. This was well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Woodhaven Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents which suffered from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term residents who have sustained a fall which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for treating several medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 13.6% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression may imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 91.89% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that retained mobility levels. Some argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Woodhaven Nursing Home, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.88 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.17 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 15.27 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.19 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Peconic Bay Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.7 miles away1300 Roanoke Avenue Riverhead New York 11901Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 548-6000
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.94 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Fms-Central Suffolk Akc0.91 miles away5225 Nesconset Highway Unit #72 - Bldg.9 Port Jefferson Station New York 11776CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 331-5600
- Stony Brook Kidney Center, Dci2.76 miles away26 Research Way East Setauket New York 11733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 444-0502
- Coram Dialysis Center4.79 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- Davita Medford Kidney Center6.54 miles away1725 North Ocean Avenue Medford New York 11763CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (631) 289-8000
- Long Island Community Hospital9.85 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Dialysis Stations: 6 (631) 654-7160
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr10.28 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707
- Long Island Community Hospital10.45 miles away109 West Main Street Dialysis Satellite Patchogue New York 11772CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 687-2828
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center12.21 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605