Wingate at Wilbraham is a large nursing home located in Wilbraham, Massachusetts. This nursing home is a subpar facility. A grade of this caliber suggests we found some red flags. This place seems to have very little working in its favor. Finally, this facility had an ownership change in the last year, so hopefully its performance improves in the coming year.
Wingate at Wilbraham
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Please note our records indicate that Wingate at Wilbraham has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not high on this facility overall, we gave it a B for our nursing rating. This grade is far more impressive than the nursing home's overall grade. Our nursing grade is based on several factors. The most important one is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was given its second most favorable category score in the category of long-term care. We gave this facility a grade of C in this category, which is a decent score. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 88.13559 percent of its residents. This is pretty significantly below what we expected. On a more positive note, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Wingate at Wilbraham?
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home's next highest score was short-term care. As it turns out, with a grade of D in this category, it still performed relatively poorly. Our short-term care ratings are crucial for people looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a wide scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar statistics was damning for this nursing home's short-term care grade.
Turning to our final category of inspections, this facility received a grade that's as bad as it gets. We weight this category more heavily than our other categories. We would advise paying special attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this poor of an inspection grade. We recommend you scrutinize the level of severity of those deficiencies. This nursing home had several deficiencies in categories G through L, which are among the more severe categories of deficiencies. This generally indicates that the deficiencies identified by inspectors had potential to pose actual harm to residents. Lastly, we would like to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was assessed significant government fines in recent years of more than $100,000. This typically indicates that a nursing home's bad track record spanned several years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wingate at Wilbraham Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wingate at Wilbraham, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wingate at Wilbraham, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wingate at Wilbraham, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which suffered from a UTI. While more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wingate at Wilbraham, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wingate at Wilbraham, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wingate at Wilbraham, 1.93% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts would argue that this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wingate at Wilbraham, 91.44% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wingate at Wilbraham, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wingate at Wilbraham, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels.
In Wingate at Wilbraham, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wingate at Wilbraham, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Wingate at Wilbraham, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wingate at Wilbraham, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with better rehabilitation.
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 4.41 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 9.04 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.45 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.72 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 16.94 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.2 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Harrington Memorial Hospital-1Acute Care Hospitals 19.96 miles away100 South Street Southbridge Massachusetts 01550Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 765-9771
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 20 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Ara-Ludlow Dialysis, LLC2.89 miles away14 Chestnut Place, Suite B Ludlow Massachusetts 01056CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 583-7983
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Palmer4.36 miles away42 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 284-0700
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)6.39 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Dialysis Center of Western Massachusetts7.8 miles away601 Memorial Drive, Suite H Chicopee Massachusetts 01020Dialysis Stations: 15 (413) 593-3078
- Springfield Dialysis Center9.1 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- Chicopee Dialysis Center9.34 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)9.43 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center9.96 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400