Wingate at South Hadley is a senior living facility located in South Hadley, Massachusetts, which has a population of 17,527 people. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of C. A score in this range requires some respectable marks. As far as we can see, this place should be a good fit for most people. While this nursing home has performed respectably, we did want to let you know that there was an ownership change in the last year. We will keep an eye on their inspections and quality scores to see whether their performance goes up or down under new ownership.
Wingate at South Hadley
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that Wingate at South Hadley has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a nursing score which is stronger than its overall grade. We awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B+ in this area. Our nursing category assesses a handful of factors, most of which are based on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we awarded this facility a B in our short-term care category. This happens to be one of our higher grades. Short-term care ratings are based on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a vast range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Wingate at South Hadley?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second worse category was long-term care, where it received just a D in that area. This is a well below average grade. Long-term care grades in this range generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. Frankly, we were a bit worried that this facility vaccinated 66 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is significantly lower than average. To our surprise, this facility was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Turning the last category of inspections, this nursing home really did not fare well. It received an F in this category. This dragged this facility's overall score down as we heavily weight this category. For places with poor inspection grades, you should really scrutinize any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed 3 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a risk to patient health or safety. Lastly, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this place received significant government fines recently amounting to more than $100,000. This generally means that a bad track record spanned several years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wingate at South Hadley Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wingate at South Hadley, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wingate at South Hadley, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wingate at South Hadley, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols limits the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wingate at South Hadley, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wingate at South Hadley, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wingate at South Hadley, 1.93% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients demonstrating signs of depression. Higher rates of depression could be an indicator a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wingate at South Hadley, 91.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wingate at South Hadley, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wingate at South Hadley, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Wingate at South Hadley, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wingate at South Hadley, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Wingate at South Hadley, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wingate at South Hadley, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.47 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 8.06 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.56 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 11.9 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.39 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Dialysis Center of Western Massachusetts4.65 miles away601 Memorial Drive, Suite H Chicopee Massachusetts 01020Dialysis Stations: 15 (413) 593-3078
- Hampshire County Dialysis Center6.29 miles away84 Conz Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 586-7989
- Ara-Holyoke Dialysis LLC6.29 miles away36 Lower Westfield Rd Unit C-153 Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Dialysis Stations: 20 (413) 533-3128
- Chicopee Dialysis Center6.62 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529
- Ara-Ludlow Dialysis, LLC6.79 miles away14 Chestnut Place, Suite B Ludlow Massachusetts 01056CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 583-7983
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center7.54 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)8.15 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)9.47 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751