Wingate at Haverhill is a senior living facility in Haverhill, Massachusetts, a city with a population of 60,879 people. We awarded this facility an overall grade of C. A grade in this range requires some decent marks. Haverhill received a city grade of B, so there are other options in the city worth considering. This nursing home did not meet our expectations in all of our categories, but it did not receive any terrible grades either. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Wingate at Haverhill
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was decent, it really fared well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our best scores. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this category typically have very few severe deficiencies. While this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
One of this nursing home's higher category scores was in the area of short-term care. This wound up being its second most respectable category. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to formulate a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. In this place's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than the average facility. The hope is always that this does not adversely impact the quality of care. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Wingate at Haverhill?
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a middle of the road score in the category of long-term care, with a C. In computing these long-term care grades, we quantify the facility's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We discovered that this nursing home gave the vaccine to only 85.71429 percent of its patients, which is quite a bit lower than we expected. Nevertheless, this nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The last area we rated is nursing, which ended up being this facility's worst category. We awarded this nursing home a D in that area. The nursing grade weighs many data points, many of which are based on quantities of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wingate at Haverhill Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wingate at Haverhill, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wingate at Haverhill, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are often associated with poor nursing care. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wingate at Haverhill, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint can be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wingate at Haverhill, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wingate at Haverhill, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wingate at Haverhill, 1.93% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression could indicate a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wingate at Haverhill, 91.44% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wingate at Haverhill, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wingate at Haverhill, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that remained mobile levels.
In Wingate at Haverhill, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wingate at Haverhill, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Wingate at Haverhill, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wingate at Haverhill, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Haverhill, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Haverhill, Massachusetts has 6 other nursing homes
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.9 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Anna Jaques HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.71 miles away25 Highland Avenue Newburyport Massachusetts 01950Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 463-1000
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.75 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- Exeter Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 14.85 miles away5 Alumni Drive Exeter New Hampshire 03833Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 778-7311
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.04 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Beverly Hospital CorporationAcute Care Hospitals 19.22 miles away85 Herrick Street Beverly Massachusetts 01915Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 922-3000
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.24 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- Fresenius Medical Care of Methuen4.38 miles away421 Merrimack Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Dialysis Stations: 21 (978) 975-3117
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley5.6 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home7.1 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc8.41 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Versailles Dialysis LLC8.5 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Fmc of Newburyport10.19 miles away260 Merrimac Street Towle Building Newburyport Massachusetts 01950CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 465-7030
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Exeter14.86 miles away1 Hampton Road, Suite 109 Exeter New Hampshire 03833Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 777-9931
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell15.57 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100