Wingate at Chestnut Hill is a large nursing home in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts. After receiving an A overall grade, this nursing home has the prestigious distinction of being one of the 100 best facilities in Massachusetts. This is an impressive feat in a state with a long list of elite facilities. Based on the data we reviewed, you can not go wrong here. Finally, this worked out to be a very consistent facility with consistently strong scores in all of the major categories. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Wingate at Chestnut Hill
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Aug 1, 2021 by Nick Lata
615 Heath Street,
Chestnut Hill MA 02467
71.77% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Data for Wingate at Chestnut Hill has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a first rate nursing home overall, it also excelled in inspections, where it received an A. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this area tend to have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its top-shelf profile, this nursing home also received a dominant long-term care score, with a grade of A. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 72.66881 percent of its residents. This is somewhat less than we expected. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, we were pleased to find nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Wingate at Chestnut Hill?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also performed well in the category of short-term care, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our short-term care grade is generally used to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation In order to have good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must have higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
In the last category we scored, this facility was awarded an impressive grade grade of A- in our nursing category. With this score, the facility rounded out a straight A profile. When computing our nursing scores, we assess both staffing levels and the training levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of turning patients even once per day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wingate at Chestnut Hill Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients which sustained falls which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who had urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 1.93% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 91.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.22 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.44 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.17 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 3.35 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.4 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.07 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.13 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 4.74 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston1.77 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Davita Brookline Dialysis2.52 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner2.72 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Kidney Center3.44 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000
- Wellesley Dialysis3.97 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- Brigham and Women's Hospital4.12 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130
- Children's Hospital Boston4.12 miles awayDialysis Unit, Farley Four 300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 355-7631
- Mary Eliza Mahoney Dialysis Center (Bma of Massachusetts)4.25 miles away416 Warren Street Roxbury Massachusetts 02119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (617) 445-9989