Wingate at Chestnut Hill is a large nursing home in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts. After receiving an A overall grade, this nursing home has the prestigious distinction of being one of the 100 best facilities in Massachusetts. This is an impressive feat in a state with a long list of elite facilities. Based on the data we reviewed, you can not go wrong here. Finally, this worked out to be a very consistent facility with consistently strong scores in all of the major categories. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Wingate at Chestnut Hill
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Aug 1, 2021 by Nick Lata
Note: Data for Wingate at Chestnut Hill has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
Get pricing and details on Chestnut Hill senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
On top of being a first rate nursing home overall, it also excelled in inspections, where it received an A. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this area tend to have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its top-shelf profile, this nursing home also received a dominant short-term care score, with a grade of A. Short-term care grades are often employed to assess a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer highly graded rehabilitation services, facilities generally must feature better levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Wingate at Chestnut Hill?
Long-term Care Quality
We also want to emphasize the fact that this facility received a top-shelf score of A in our long-term care category. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 72.66881 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which happens to be a bit below what we anticipated but still a decent percentage. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
In the last category we scored, this facility was awarded an impressive grade grade of A- in our nursing category. With this score, the facility rounded out a straight A profile. When computing our nursing scores, we assess both staffing levels and the training levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed better than average in this area. This is often a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wingate at Chestnut Hill Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 9.6% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 2.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care patients that suffered a fall leading to major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 4.45% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term patients which have suffered from UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 28.42% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care patients that were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 10% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 2.79% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 81.28% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 18.73% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 23.86% of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that retained mobility levels. Some experts argue that mobility is vital to patients mental and physical health.
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 23.86% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 10.05% of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wingate at Chestnut Hill, 70.64% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.22 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.44 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.17 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 3.35 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.4 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.07 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.13 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 4.74 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston1.77 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Davita Brookline Dialysis2.52 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner2.72 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Kidney Center3.44 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000
- Wellesley Dialysis3.97 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- Brigham and Women's Hospital4.12 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130
- Children's Hospital Boston4.12 miles awayDialysis Unit, Farley Four 300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 355-7631
- Mary Eliza Mahoney Dialysis Center (Bma of Massachusetts)4.25 miles away416 Warren Street Roxbury Massachusetts 02119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (617) 445-9989