Bear Mountain at Andover is a facility located in Andover, Massachusetts, a city with 33,201 people. This facility is among the most elite nursing homes we assessed. It was given one of the highest scores that we offer. We were impressed enough to rank this facility as one of the top 50 facilities in Massachusetts. Headlining this place's stellar report card is its long-term care grade, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Bear Mountain at Andover
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
Best Nursing Home in Andover, Massachusetts Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We also found that this nursing home excelled in long-term care. We gave them an A+ in this area. For prospective patients looking for a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are very important. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 78.57143 percent of its patients. This is a bit below what we were hoping for. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this facility excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A. Not many nursing homes performed better in this area. Arguably the most important factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Bear Mountain at Andover?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. Our nursing grade weighs a handful of components, however, the main one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth area, this facility also excelled in the short-term care category. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- for that category. This completed truly elite profile. Our short-term care ratings are crucial for prospective residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This includes a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 5.3 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bear Mountain at Andover Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bear Mountain at Andover, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bear Mountain at Andover, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bear Mountain at Andover, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bear Mountain at Andover, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bear Mountain at Andover, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bear Mountain at Andover, 1.93% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bear Mountain at Andover, 91.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bear Mountain at Andover, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bear Mountain at Andover, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that maintained mobility.
In Bear Mountain at Andover, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bear Mountain at Andover, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bear Mountain at Andover, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bear Mountain at Andover, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.07 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.15 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 11 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.29 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 13.37 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Beverly Hospital CorporationAcute Care Hospitals 14.96 miles away85 Herrick Street Beverly Massachusetts 01915Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 922-3000
- North Shore Medical Center -Acute Care Hospitals 15.34 miles away81 Highland Avenue Salem Massachusetts 01970Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 741-1215
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.08 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home4.94 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell5.89 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley7.15 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900
- Fresenius Medical Care of Methuen7.8 miles away421 Merrimack Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Dialysis Stations: 21 (978) 975-3117
- Fresenius Medical Care Chelmsford9.21 miles away27 Industrial Ave Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824Dialysis Stations: 16 (978) 250-0981
- Davita Burlington Regional Dialysis9.64 miles away31 Mall Road-Dialysis Suite 1b Burlington Massachusetts 01803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 270-3580
- Fmc Services of Stoneham10.02 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc10.07 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969