Windsor Terrace Health Care is a senior living facility in Van Nuys, California, which has 166,616 people. This facility received an F, which is definitely concerning in our grading scheme. If you are not satisfied with this facility's mediocre overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are five other nursing homes in Van Nuys. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Windsor Terrace Health Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable nursing grade this year. We gave it a grade of C in that category. Our nursing grade consists of many subcategories, many of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. This place averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day, which is a very low figure. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is often a reliable indicator that a place has quality controls in place.
Long-term Care Quality
As it turns out, this facility only earned a D for its long-term care grade, which ended up being one of its higher category grades. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. After considering the volume of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Windsor Terrace Health Care?
Short-term Care Quality
Our third category we graded is short-term care, in which this nursing home received an F. Our short-term care grades are probably most meaningful for residents needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The final item we considered in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics sunk this facility's short-term care grade.
The final category we assessed was inspections. This nursing home did not receive positive inspection reports in recent years. In fact, we had to give it an F here. We would advise paying close attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection score. We suggest you pay close attention to the level of severity of those deficiencies. This particular facility had 10 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they caused a risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 42 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Windsor Terrace Health Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Windsor Terrace Health Care, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Windsor Terrace Health Care, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who experienced a fall leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Windsor Terrace Health Care, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Windsor Terrace Health Care, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used to treat several conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Windsor Terrace Health Care, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Windsor Terrace Health Care, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Windsor Terrace Health Care, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Windsor Terrace Health Care, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Windsor Terrace Health Care, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Windsor Terrace Health Care, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to preserving the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Windsor Terrace Health Care, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Windsor Terrace Health Care, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Windsor Terrace Health Care, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Van Nuys, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Van Nuys, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.39 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Northridge Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.98 miles away18300 Roscoe Blvd Northridge California 91325Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 885-8500
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.47 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 4.64 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Providence Holy Cross Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.04 miles away15031 Rinaldi St Mission Hills California 91346Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 365-8051
- Lac/Olive View-Ucla Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.33 miles away14445 Olive View Drive Sylmar California 91342Voluntary non-profit - Other(818) 364-1555
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.66 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 9.87 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Davita-Valley Dialysis Center0.55 miles away6840 Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 101 Van Nuys California 91405CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (818) 779-1450
- Davita Van Nuys Dialysis1.13 miles away14434 Sherman Way Van Nuys California 91405Dialysis Stations: 37 (818) 787-8225
- u.s. Renal Care Van Nuys Dialysis1.27 miles away14624 Sherman Way, Suite 106 Van Nuys California 91405CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (818) 994-2333
- u.s. Renal Care Panorama City Dialysis1.4 miles away14600 Roscoe Blvd. Panorama City California 91402CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 901-9822
- Fmc-Van Nuys1.97 miles away14812 Oxnard Street Van Nuys California 91411CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 781-7888
- u.s. Renal Care Northridge Dialysis2.2 miles away18546 Roscoe Blvd., Suite 108 Northridge California 91324CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 886-3771
- u.s. Renal Care Sherman Oaks Dialysis3.4 miles away4955 Van Nuys Blvd., Suite 111 Sherman Oaks California 91403Dialysis Stations: 18 (818) 285-5913
- Laurel Canyon Dialysis, LLC3.95 miles away8987 Laurel Canyon Blvd. Sun Valley California 91352CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (818) 771-9950