Windsor Care Center of Petaluma is in Petaluma, California, a city with 70,223 people. Sporting an overall rating of B-, this is likely a middle of the pack nursing home. At the end of the day, this nursing home should be a good fit for quite a few people. The best part of this nursing home's profile is is its inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Windsor Care Center of Petaluma
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable facility overall, this facility really excelled in the category of inspections, where it earned an A-. Few facilities performed better in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection grades. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also performed favorably in the area of short-term care, with high-end score of A- in this category. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to measure a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To offer good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this facility provided data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Windsor Care Center of Petaluma?
Next, we looked at the nursing category where we awarded this nursing home a grade of C, which is a decent grade. In determining our nursing grades, we look at both nursing hours and the training levels of the nurses. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses to assist its patients.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we scored was long-term care, which ended up being this facility's weakest area. We awarded this nursing home a D in that category. Unfortunately, this grade hurt the facility's overall profile to some degree. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. We were pleased to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 99.545456 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Windsor Care Center of Petaluma Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Windsor Care Center of Petaluma, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents that suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Windsor Care Center of Petaluma, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients which had a fall which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Windsor Care Center of Petaluma, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term residents that have experienced urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Windsor Care Center of Petaluma, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term residents who are administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Windsor Care Center of Petaluma, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Windsor Care Center of Petaluma, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting signs of depression. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Windsor Care Center of Petaluma, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Windsor Care Center of Petaluma, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Windsor Care Center of Petaluma, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Windsor Care Center of Petaluma, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Windsor Care Center of Petaluma, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Windsor Care Center of Petaluma, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Windsor Care Center of Petaluma, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Petaluma, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Petaluma, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Petaluma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.31 miles away400 N Mcdowell Blvd Petaluma California 94954Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 778-1111
- Novato Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.91 miles away180 Rowland Way Novato California 94945Voluntary non-profit - Other(415) 209-1300
- Sonoma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.75 miles away347 Andrieux St Sonoma California 95476Government - Hospital District or Authority(707) 935-5000
- Sonoma Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.51 miles away501 Petaluma Avenue Sebastopol California 95472Government - Local(707) 823-8511
- Santa Rosa Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.72 miles away1165 Montgomery Dr Santa Rosa California 95405Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 525-5300
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.04 miles away99 Montecillo Rd San Rafael California 94903Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 444-2000
- Aurora Behavioral Healthcare-Santa Rosa, LLCPsychiatric 17.35 miles away1287 Fulton Road Santa Rosa California 95401Proprietary(707) 800-7700
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa RosaAcute Care Hospitals 17.86 miles away401 Bicentennial Way Santa Rosa California 95403Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 571-4000
- Davita Petaluma River Dialysis2.33 miles away417 N Mcdowell Blvd, Suite 30 Petaluma California 94954Dialysis Stations: 24 (707) 773-1293
- Fmc Petaluma2.45 miles away715 South Point Blvd., Suite A Petaluma California 94954CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (707) 765-9379
- Satellite Dialysis Rohnert Park9.6 miles away6265 Commerce Blvd Suite 156 Rohnert Park California 94928CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (707) 303-2040
- Satellite Dialysis Santa Rosa15.18 miles away2301 Circadian Way #C Santa Rosa California 95407CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (707) 526-0717
- Bma Santa Rosa15.72 miles away1020 Second Street Santa Rosa California 95404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (707) 527-5350
- Northgate Dialysis Center16.1 miles away650 Las Gallinas Road San Rafael California 94903CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (415) 444-0376
- San Rafael Dialysis18.53 miles away1415 3rd Street San Rafael California 94901Dialysis Stations: 24 (415) 453-4437
- Napa Dialysis Center19.5 miles away3900-C Bel Aire Plaza #C Napa California 94558CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (707) 253-8938