With an address in Lees Summit, Missouri, Wilshire at Lakewood is one of four available nursing homes in this city. This nursing home received a grade of B overall. We found this nursing home to be better than the majority of the facilities in Lees Summit, which has a city grade of B-. This facility definitely has plenty of good features. Keep reading to find this facility's category ratings, which are also impressive. It's hard to find any major flaws in this nursing home's profile.
Wilshire at Lakewood
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that Wilshire at Lakewood has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of faring well overall, this nursing home received even higher grades for short-term care. It earned one of our highest scores in that category with A-. In determining these short-term care grades, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to devise a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. We were not able to track down information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's above average category scores came in the area of long-term care. We awarded them one of our more favorable grades in that category, with a grade of B. Facilities that do well in long-term care typically provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly is often a deadly health condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Wilshire at Lakewood?
This facility also earned favorable inspections in recent years. In fact, we gave them one of our better grades in that area, with a B. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This facility was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
The last category we scored was nursing, where we awarded it a strong grade of B. This facility truly does not have any weaknesses. The nursing score includes a handful of data points, however, the main one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This particular nursing home provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wilshire at Lakewood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percent of long-term care residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better nursing care limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 4.19% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are showing signs of depression. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 88.53% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 72.81% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Lees Summit, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Lees Summit, Missouri has 3 other nursing homes
- Truman Medical Center LakewoodAcute Care Hospitals 1.41 miles away7900 Lee's Summit Rd Kansas City Missouri 64139Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-7000
- Saint Luke's East HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.27 miles away100 N E Saint Luke's Boulevard Lees Summit Missouri 64086Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 347-5000
- Lee's Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.08 miles away2100 Se Blue Parkway Lees Summit Missouri 64063Proprietary(816) 282-5000
- Centerpoint Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.33 miles away19600 East 39th Street Independence Missouri 64057Proprietary(816) 698-7000
- St Mary's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.4 miles away201 Nw R D Mize Rd Blue Springs Missouri 64014Voluntary non-profit - Church(816) 228-5900
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.72 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 13.16 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.22 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Isd - Lee's Summit Renal Center2.12 miles away100 Ne Missouri Rd Suite 100 Lees Summit Missouri 64086CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (816) 524-3312
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Lees Summit4.2 miles away219 Nw Executive Way Lees Summit Missouri 64063Dialysis Stations: 12 (816) 554-2711
- Eastland Dialysis4.49 miles away19101 E Valley View Pkwy Ste E Independence Missouri 64055Dialysis Stations: 20 (816) 795-6018
- Lee's Summit Dialysis4.92 miles away1831 Se Blue Parkway Lees Summit Missouri 64063Dialysis Stations: 12 (816) 554-1950
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Raytown5.05 miles away11503 E 63rd St Kansas City Missouri 64133Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 353-3080
- Fmc - Centerpoint6.61 miles away19401 E 37th Terrace Court South Suite 200 Independence Missouri 64057Dialysis Stations: 14 (816) 795-6559
- Fmc - Blue Springs6.97 miles away505 Ne Adams Dairy Parkway Suite B Blue Springs Missouri 64014CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (816) 229-2400
- Davita Blue Ridge Dialysis7.07 miles away8608 E 63rd St Kansas City Missouri 64133Dialysis Stations: 20 (816) 353-6100