With an address in Lees Summit, Missouri, Wilshire at Lakewood is one of four available nursing homes in this city. This isn't a bad facility with a C overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Lees Summit. This nursing home seems to have some things working in its favor. One of the highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Wilshire at Lakewood
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that Wilshire at Lakewood has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility earned a decent overall score, its inspections rating is notably more impressive than its overall score. Due to a strong health inspection report this year, it earned one of our better scores in that area with a B. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to be an imminent threat to resident safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was awarded its next most favorable category score in the category of long-term care. We gave this nursing home a B- in this category, which is a reasonably acceptable grade. For patients looking for a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is an above average statistic. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Wilshire at Lakewood?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable category is short-term care. We gave it a grade of B- in this category. This is essentially a middle of the road score in this area. Short-term care grades are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. We found that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. The facility offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Turning to the final category, this nursing home didn't perform well. Due to a very poor grade of F in nursing, this is this facility's weakest area. Our nursing score consists of several data points, but the main consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. With only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily, this place's nurse staffing levels were quite a bit below the national average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This place fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wilshire at Lakewood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 9.32% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 3.98% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents that have suffered a fall which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 3.42% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 20.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 24.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients who are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 4.11% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 88.89% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 14.76% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 15.81% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 1.64 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 15.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wilshire at Lakewood, 72.5% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Lees Summit, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Lees Summit, Missouri has 3 other nursing homes
- Truman Medical Center LakewoodAcute Care Hospitals 1.41 miles away7900 Lee's Summit Rd Kansas City Missouri 64139Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-7000
- Saint Luke's East HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.27 miles away100 N E Saint Luke's Boulevard Lees Summit Missouri 64086Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 347-5000
- Lee's Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.08 miles away2100 Se Blue Parkway Lees Summit Missouri 64063Proprietary(816) 282-5000
- Centerpoint Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.33 miles away19600 East 39th Street Independence Missouri 64057Proprietary(816) 698-7000
- St Mary's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.4 miles away201 Nw R D Mize Rd Blue Springs Missouri 64014Voluntary non-profit - Church(816) 228-5900
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.72 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 13.16 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.22 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Isd - Lee's Summit Renal Center2.12 miles away100 Ne Missouri Rd Suite 100 Lees Summit Missouri 64086CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (816) 524-3312
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Lees Summit4.2 miles away219 Nw Executive Way Lees Summit Missouri 64063Dialysis Stations: 12 (816) 554-2711
- Eastland Dialysis4.49 miles away19101 E Valley View Pkwy Ste E Independence Missouri 64055Dialysis Stations: 20 (816) 795-6018
- Lee's Summit Dialysis4.92 miles away1831 Se Blue Parkway Lees Summit Missouri 64063Dialysis Stations: 12 (816) 554-1950
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Raytown5.05 miles away11503 E 63rd St Kansas City Missouri 64133Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 353-3080
- Fmc - Centerpoint6.61 miles away19401 E 37th Terrace Court South Suite 200 Independence Missouri 64057Dialysis Stations: 14 (816) 795-6559
- Fmc - Blue Springs6.97 miles away505 Ne Adams Dairy Parkway Suite B Blue Springs Missouri 64014CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (816) 229-2400
- Davita Blue Ridge Dialysis7.07 miles away8608 E 63rd St Kansas City Missouri 64133Dialysis Stations: 20 (816) 353-6100