With an address in Oakmont, Pennsylvania, Willows of Presbyterian Senior is one of just a few nursing homes in this city. With an A- overall grade, we rated this nursing home in the top 25 percent of all facilities in the nation. In our view, this facility ought to be a no brainer for most people. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Willows of Presbyterian Senior
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1215 Hulton Road,
Oakmont PA 15139
81.91% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall score, we awarded this nursing home an A for our inspections rating. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This nursing home received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In fact, this turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. Nursing scores are primarily tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 3.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at certain nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We view these areas as reliable measures of the quality of nursing care being provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Does this page answer your questions about Willows of Presbyterian Senior?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the third area, this nursing home also earned a score of B+ for its short-term care rating. This is a well above average score in this area. With our short-term care score, we seek to craft a sound gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze a facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. One of this nursing home's strengths is registered nurse hours. We found that it offers more care from registered nurses to its residents than most facilities. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that it performed as well as just about any facility in the country with 58.8 percent of its patients returning home. Most places are below 50 percent in this area.
Long-term Care Quality
In the last category we scored, this nursing home was awarded a very favorable grade of B+ in our long-term care category. With this score, the nursing home wrapped up a very favorable report card. For prospective residents in need of a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 77.604164 percent of its patients. This is slightly below what we anticipated. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Willows of Presbyterian Senior Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Willows of Presbyterian Senior, 7.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Willows of Presbyterian Senior, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Willows of Presbyterian Senior, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Willows of Presbyterian Senior, 15.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Willows of Presbyterian Senior, 19.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly used to treat residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Willows of Presbyterian Senior, 3.38% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Willows of Presbyterian Senior, 89.35% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Willows of Presbyterian Senior, 15.62% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Willows of Presbyterian Senior, 23.88% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Willows of Presbyterian Senior, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Willows of Presbyterian Senior, 23.88 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Willows of Presbyterian Senior, 8.79 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Willows of Presbyterian Senior, 72.17% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 4.37 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Upmc EastAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away2775 Mosside Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 357-3000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.54 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Forbes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.76 miles away2570 Haymaker Road Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 858-2000
- Allegheny Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.1 miles away1301 Carlisle St Natrona Heights Pennsylvania 15065Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 224-5100
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 9.02 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 9.19 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc PassavantAcute Care Hospitals 10.21 miles away9100 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 367-6700
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Harmar Village1.26 miles away725 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 823-5422
- Davita - Harmarville Dialysis1.31 miles away791 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 13 (724) 274-9281
- Davita - Penn Hills Dialysis4.15 miles away202 Rodi Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (412) 371-1102
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Penn Hills4.25 miles away11624 Keleket Drive Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235Dialysis Stations: 13 (412) 244-3931
- Total Renal Care, Inc.4.27 miles away1 Kensington Square B New Kensington Pennsylvania 15068Dialysis Stations: 8 (724) 335-2876
- Dci of New Kensington4.31 miles away722 Fourth Avenue New Kensington Pennsylvania 15068Dialysis Stations: 20 (724) 339-1772
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Shaler6.22 miles away880 Butler Street Shaler Plaza Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15223Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 782-3790
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Point Breeze6.37 miles away7620 Meade Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221Dialysis Stations: 22 (412) 247-5223