Willow Wood Care Center is an average-sized hospital-based nursing home in Salt Lake City, Utah. This is a good nursing home with a B overall. This was right in line with the city grade in Salt Lake City. Even in a city featuring 15 nursing homes, this nursing home should be a fine choice. As you can see below, this nursing home also performed just fine in our category grades. It's hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Willow Wood Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
1205 East 4725 South,
Salt Lake City UT 84117
68.96% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place received a great overall grade is that it received a very impressive nursing score. In that area, we gave this facility an A-. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with nurse staffing levels. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning residents more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, this facility also was given favorable short-term care grades in our assessment. In fact, we gave them one of our higher scores in that area, with a score of B. Our short-term care grade is often used to score a facility's rehabilitation services. To provide highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Willow Wood Care Center?
This nursing home also received favorable inspections in recent years. In fact, we gave them one of our better grades in that category, with a B. Inspection scores are based on datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home received 9 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is long-term care, where this facility was awarded a B. This nursing home turned out to be strong in all areas we analyzed. Facilities that excel in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. After looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 98.52941 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Willow Wood Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Willow Wood Care Center, 6.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Willow Wood Care Center, 3.44% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often associated with lower quality nursing care. More supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Willow Wood Care Center, 2.54% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Willow Wood Care Center, 15.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Willow Wood Care Center, 21.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Willow Wood Care Center, 11.45% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Willow Wood Care Center, 80.77% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Willow Wood Care Center, 13.95% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Willow Wood Care Center, 14.91% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Willow Wood Care Center, 14.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Willow Wood Care Center, 71.49% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Salt Lake City, UT
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Salt Lake City, Utah has 14 other nursing homes
- St Mark's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.35 miles away1200 East 3900 South Salt Lake City Utah 84124Proprietary(801) 268-7700
- Intermountain Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.04 miles away5121 South Cottonwood Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 507-7000
- Alta View HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away9660 South 1300 East Sandy Utah 84094Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 501-2600
- Salt Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.05 miles away1050 East South Temple Salt Lake City Utah 84102Proprietary(801) 350-4111
- Primary Childrens HospitalChildrens 7.24 miles away100 North Mario Capecchi Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84113Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 662-6212
- University of Utah Hospitals and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 7.3 miles away50 North Medical Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84132Government - State(801) 581-2121
- Lds HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away8th Avenue and C Street Salt Lake City Utah 84143Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 408-1100
- Jordan Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.25 miles away3580 West 9000 South West Jordan Utah 84088Voluntary non-profit - Other(801) 561-8888
- Intermountain Medical Center Dialysis Services1.92 miles away74 West Vine Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (801) 507-9000
- Fresenius Kidney Care Wasatch2.32 miles away3702 South State Street, Suite 101 Salt Lake City Utah 84115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 904-4407
- West Valley Dialysis Clinic4.55 miles away3854 W 5400 S Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (801) 969-6801
- Oquirrh Artificial Kidney Center5.37 miles away5320 South 2700 West Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 417-9900
- South Valley Dialysis Center5.49 miles away8750 S Sandy Pkwy Sandy Utah 84070Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 233-8745
- Utah Dialysis Lab5.85 miles away1000 S Main St Ste 105 Salt Lake City Utah 84101Dialysis Stations: 19 (801) 408-1400
- Kolff Dialysis Center/Univ. Of Utah6.48 miles away423 Wakara Way Suite 200 Salt Lake City Utah 84108Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 581-3981
- Primary Children's Dialysis Center7.2 miles away81 North Mario Capecchi Dr Salt Lake City Utah 84113Dialysis Stations: 6 (801) 662-7600