Willow Brook Christian Home is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Columbus, Ohio. This nursing home was given an overall rating of A-. This turned out to be one of the five highest graded nursing homes in the city. Columbus has a host of other nursing homes, however, we question whether you will need to visit too many others. This one is a very fine option. This nursing home was also given phenomenal grades in each of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Willow Brook Christian Home
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
55 Lazelle Rd,
Columbus OH 43235
92.8% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to earning a strong overall score, this facility excelled in inspections, which is based on the facility's recent inspection reports. We awarded it an A for this area. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to patient health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Compounding its strong assessments in other areas, we gave this facility a score of A for its short-term care score. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. When we assessed this place's nursing hours, we found it offered substantially more care from registered nurses than most nursing homes. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who returned to the community from this facility. It outperformed the overwhelming majority of facilities in the country in this area with 65.9 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Willow Brook Christian Home?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A-. When determining our nursing scores, we look at both staffing levels and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home provided 3.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Roughly one-fourth of these hours were provided by registered nurses, which are among the most skilled nurses. This is an impressive ratio of skilled nursing care. We weight these hours performed by skilled nurses more in computing our nursing scores. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home Ohio in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a policy of turning patients even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the last area, this facility received an extremely favorable long-term care rating. Even though this is not nearly as elite as a few of its other grades, this is nevertheless one of our more impressive grades we offer. Facilities that do well in long-term care typically provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 95.03546 percent of its residents, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia tragically can be a life or death illness for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home does not leave this to chance. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Willow Brook Christian Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Willow Brook Christian Home, 7.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care patients that are suffering from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Willow Brook Christian Home, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Willow Brook Christian Home, 1.75% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients who experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric may be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Willow Brook Christian Home, 12.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Willow Brook Christian Home, 22.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Willow Brook Christian Home, 19.84% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Willow Brook Christian Home, 90.11% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Willow Brook Christian Home, 15.05% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Willow Brook Christian Home, 18.59% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Willow Brook Christian Home, 18.59 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Willow Brook Christian Home, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Willow Brook Christian Home, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Columbus, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Columbus, Ohio has 21 other nursing homes
- Mount Carmel St Ann'sAcute Care Hospitals 3.8 miles away500 South Cleveland Avenue Westerville Ohio 43081Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 898-4000
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.32 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Dublin Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.21 miles away7500 Hospital Avenue Dublin Ohio 43016Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 544-8000
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.25 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Grady Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.33 miles away561 West Central Avenue Delaware Ohio 43015Voluntary non-profit - Private(740) 368-5145
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 12.42 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 12.79 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Davita - Parkside Dialysis3.92 miles away241 W. Schrock Road Westerville Ohio 43081Dialysis Stations: 18 (614) 882-1734
- Kidney Center of Columbus North4.3 miles away5700 Karl Road Columbus Ohio 43229Dialysis Stations: 7 (614) 846-9722
- Fmc- Westerville Dialysis4.58 miles away477 Cooper Road Suite 140 Westerville Ohio 43081Dialysis Stations: 12 (614) 895-2705
- Fmc - Central Ohio5.52 miles away4661 Karl Road Columbus Ohio 43229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 840-0012
- Bio-Medical Applications of Ohio, Inc.5.53 miles away758 Communications Parkway Columbus Ohio 43217Dialysis Stations: 12 (614) 538-1060
- Nxstage Kidney Care/Nxstage Columbus LLC5.85 miles away5665 Woerner Temple Road Dublin Ohio 43016Dialysis Stations: 10 (614) 915-3040
- Davita - Columbus Dialysis6.18 miles away226 Graceland Blvd. - Suite 3-09a Columbus Ohio 43214CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (614) 985-1732
- Davita Minerva Park Dialysis6.24 miles away4401 Cleveland Avenue Columbus Ohio 43224Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 478-9604