William E Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home is an average-sized nursing home located in Salt Lake City, Utah. This facility is ranked among the top nursing homes we found. A grade of this caliber requires superb scores across the board. Even in a city offering 26 other nursing homes, this nursing home looks like a great option. One of the major highlights of this facility's stellar report card is its nursing score. We discuss nursing in the next section.
William E Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Utah Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Utah Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Utah Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our nursing rating. We weighed the qualifications of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of hours the nurses were with patients, in calculating our score in this category. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its top-shelf resume, this facility also received a strong short-term care grade, with a score of A. In the area of short-term care, we try to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of patients who ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about William E Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home?
This facility has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our last category, this nursing home was given a high-end long-term care rating. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- in this area, resulting in this facility receiving straight A's. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are kept in good health. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
William E Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In William E Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home, 6.04% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents that are suffering from pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In William E Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients who experienced falls leading to major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In William E Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home, 2.65% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In William E Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home, 13.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In William E Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home, 21.58% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care patients that are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In William E Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home, 10.85% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In William E Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home, 83% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In William E Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home, 14% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In William E Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home, 18.79% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility. Some argue that mobility is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
In William E Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home, 0.9 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In William E Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home, 18.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In William E Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home, 72.2% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Salt Lake City, UT
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Salt Lake City, Utah has 25 other nursing homes
- Primary Childrens HospitalChildrens 1.37 miles away100 North Mario Capecchi Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84113Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 662-6212
- University of Utah Hospitals and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 1.37 miles away50 North Medical Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84132Government - State(801) 581-2121
- Salt Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.92 miles away1050 East South Temple Salt Lake City Utah 84102Proprietary(801) 350-4111
- Lds HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.12 miles away8th Avenue and C Street Salt Lake City Utah 84143Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 408-1100
- St Mark's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.72 miles away1200 East 3900 South Salt Lake City Utah 84124Proprietary(801) 268-7700
- Intermountain Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.26 miles away5121 South Cottonwood Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 507-7000
- Lakeview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.5 miles away630 East Medical Drive Bountiful Utah 84010Voluntary non-profit - Other(801) 299-2200
- Alta View HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.17 miles away9660 South 1300 East Sandy Utah 84094Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 501-2600
- Kolff Dialysis Center/Univ. Of Utah0.47 miles away423 Wakara Way Suite 200 Salt Lake City Utah 84108Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 581-3981
- Primary Children's Dialysis Center1.35 miles away81 North Mario Capecchi Dr Salt Lake City Utah 84113Dialysis Stations: 6 (801) 662-7600
- Utah Dialysis Lab3.15 miles away1000 S Main St Ste 105 Salt Lake City Utah 84101Dialysis Stations: 19 (801) 408-1400
- Fresenius Kidney Care Wasatch5.21 miles away3702 South State Street, Suite 101 Salt Lake City Utah 84115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 904-4407
- Intermountain Medical Center Dialysis Services6.97 miles away74 West Vine Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (801) 507-9000
- West Valley Dialysis Clinic8.96 miles away3854 W 5400 S Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (801) 969-6801
- Fresenius Kidney Care West Salt Lake8.98 miles away4101 West Pioneer Parkway Suite 101 Salt Lake City Utah 84120Dialysis Stations: 13 (801) 966-9978
- Oquirrh Artificial Kidney Center9.46 miles away5320 South 2700 West Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 417-9900