Whiting Health Care is a large nursing home located in Manchester Township, New Jersey. This facility received an A- overall, which is one of our more impressive ratings. We can not find many negative things to say about this place. Its grades are as good as they get. If you look further down this page, you can see this nursing home's category scores, which are also strong.
Whiting Health Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection scores account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this category typically have few of these severe deficiencies. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its elite profile, this nursing home also excelled in our long-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a score of A for the area. Facilities that receive this type of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are kept in good health. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 90.20771 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be a few points below what we expected but still a decent figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, we were pleased to find facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Whiting Health Care?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B+. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we graded was short-term care. In this area, we awarded this facility a favorable grade of B. Our short-term care ratings are meaningful for patients seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates more skilled nursing. This includes a broad scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 5.3 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Whiting Health Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Whiting Health Care, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Whiting Health Care, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are routinely linked to lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Whiting Health Care, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Whiting Health Care, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Whiting Health Care, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Whiting Health Care, 5.95% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients demonstrating signs of depression. High rates of depression may imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Whiting Health Care, 91.97% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Whiting Health Care, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence. Some believe this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Whiting Health Care, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels.
In Whiting Health Care, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Whiting Health Care, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Whiting Health Care, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Whiting Health Care, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Manchester Township, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Manchester Township, New Jersey has 4 other nursing homes
- Community Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.63 miles away99 Rt 37 West Toms River New Jersey 08755Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 557-8000
- Monmouth Medical Center-Southern CampusAcute Care Hospitals 11.5 miles away600 River Ave Lakewood New Jersey 08701Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 363-1900
- Ocean Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.4 miles away425 Jack Martin Blvd Brick New Jersey 08724Voluntary non-profit - Other(732) 840-2200
- Southern Ocean Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.59 miles away1140 Rt 72 W Manahawkin New Jersey 08050Voluntary non-profit - Private(609) 597-6011
- Centrastate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.26 miles away901 West Main Street Freehold New Jersey 07728Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 431-2000
- Fmc Whiting Dialysis Ctr0.77 miles away400-430 Route 530 Pinewald-Keswick Road Manchester Township New Jersey 08759CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (732) 350-8405
- Fmc John J De Palma Renal Center7.1 miles away1 Plaza Drive Toms River New Jersey 08757CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (732) 505-0637
- Davita Dialysis at Deborah10.85 miles away107 Trenton Road Browns Mills New Jersey 08015CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (609) 893-3950
- Fmc Lakewood Dialysis12.18 miles awaySeagull Shopping Plaza 1328 River Avenue Ste 16 Lakewood New Jersey 08701Dialysis Stations: 18 (732) 730-2222
- Davita Jackson Township Dialysis13 miles away260 North County Line Road Suite 120 Jackson New Jersey 08527Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 364-2055
- Fresenius Medical Care Toms River13.1 miles away970 Hooper Avenue Toms River New Jersey 08753CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 286-6502
- Physicians Dialysis Brick14.19 miles awayRenal Center 150 Brick Boulevard Brick New Jersey 08723CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 477-2247
- Kamakee Dialysis (Davita Ocean County Dc)14.54 miles away635 Bay Avenue Suite 215 Toms River New Jersey 08753Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 341-2730