Whitehaven Community Living is an average-sized nursing home located in Memphis, Tennessee. We gave this facility an F, which is just about as bad as it gets in our grading scheme. As far as we can see, you would be better off to avoid of this facility. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was long-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Whitehaven Community Living
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1076 Chambliss Road,
Memphis TN 38116
44.54% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Although this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it didn't perform quite as poorly in the area of long-term care. In fact, we gave it a grade of C for that area, which isn't bad. This wasn't enough to salvage its otherwise weak profile. Our long-term care scores are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of nursing services. This means a broad range of personal care services, ranging from help with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. This nursing home's vaccination data were a bit weaker than a few of its other statistics in this category, such as its nursing hours. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to just 46.308727 percent of its patients. We'd like to see some improvement herein this statistic next year. On a more positive note, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
We were also surprised to find that this facility received a decent nursing grade this year. We gave it a grade of C in that category. Our nursing rating is mostly associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides an impressive 4.1 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in some quality-focused statistics. Specifically, we look at the percent of residents who sustained pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these areas as predictive measures of the quality of nursing care, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Does this page answer your questions about Whitehaven Community Living?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the area of short-term care, this nursing home was awarded a grade of just D in this category. Short-term care grades are important for residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Given its poor grade, we were not shocked to find that this nursing home provided substantially fewer registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The final item we assessed in this category is the number of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area, with just 37.8 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was well below the national average.
Turning to our final category of inspections, this facility received a grade that's as bad as it gets. We weight this category more heavily than our other categories. When a place has this poor of an inspection score, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to the well being of residents. This particular facility was hit with 5 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they posed a risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility also received 2 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Whitehaven Community Living Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Whitehaven Community Living, 9.49% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Whitehaven Community Living, 3.51% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls which result in injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Whitehaven Community Living, 3.12% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Whitehaven Community Living, 15.81% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Whitehaven Community Living, 29.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Whitehaven Community Living, 8.77% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Whitehaven Community Living, 89.84% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Whitehaven Community Living, 16.62% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Whitehaven Community Living, 26.14% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Whitehaven Community Living, 26.14 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Whitehaven Community Living, 72.83% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Memphis, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Memphis, Tennessee has 16 other nursing homes
- Delta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.02 miles away3000 Getwell Rd Memphis Tennessee 38118Proprietary(901) 369-8100
- Methodist Healthcare Memphis HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 7.33 miles away1265 Union Ave Suite 700 Memphis Tennessee 38104Voluntary non-profit - Church(901) 516-8274
- Memphis Mental Health InstitutePsychiatric 7.62 miles away951 Court Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Local(901) 577-1800
- Regional One HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.69 miles away877 Jefferson Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Hospital District or Authority(901) 545-7928
- St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.46 miles away5959 Park Ave Memphis Tennessee 38119Proprietary(901) 765-1000
- Baptist Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.76 miles away6019 Walnut Grove Road Memphis Tennessee 38120Voluntary non-profit - Private(901) 226-5000
- Methodist Healthcare - Olive Branch HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.13 miles away4250 Bethel Road Olive Branch Mississippi 38654Voluntary non-profit - Private(662) 932-9000
- Crestwyn Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 16 miles away9485 Crestwyn Hills Cove Memphis Tennessee 38125Proprietary(901) 457-5667
- Memphis South Dialysis0.3 miles away1205 Marlin Road Memphis Tennessee 38116CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (901) 346-6637
- Nra-Memphis (South)0.33 miles away4185 Pace Rd Memphis Tennessee 38116CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (901) 345-8649
- Fmc Whitehaven0.36 miles away4115 South Plaza Drive Memphis Tennessee 38116Dialysis Stations: 33 (901) 398-6388
- Isd Renal Inc0.44 miles away4180 Auburn Road Memphis Tennessee 38116Dialysis Stations: 16 (901) 332-8699
- Fmc Graceland0.55 miles away1200 Farrow Street Memphis Tennessee 38116CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (901) 398-1163
- Isd Renal Inc1.69 miles away3420 Elvis Presley Blvd Memphis Tennessee 38116CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (901) 396-3794
- Dsi Memphis LLC1.87 miles away4711 Neely Road Memphis Tennessee 38109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (901) 789-2290
- Davita State Line1.97 miles away2049 E Shelby Drive Memphis Tennessee 38119CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (901) 348-1931