Whispering Oaks is a very-large non-profit nursing home located in Tampa, Florida. We gave this facility a strong overall rating of A-. In fact, it proved to be the fifth best facility in Tampa according to our rankings. Based on the data we reviewed, you can't go wrong with this place. The best aspect of this facility's impressive report card is its inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this ended up being a great nursing home is it earned an impressive grade in inspections. In fact, inspections ended up being its best category. In this area, we gave this facility an A. Inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this category typically have few severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. The nursing score weighs a number of subcategories. The most important one is the amount of time nurses spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Whispering Oaks?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also received a strong long-term care score. Indeed, this ended up being its third strongest category score. In that area, this facility received a score of A-. Facilities that do well in this category tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we rated was this nursing home's poorest area. Nevertheless, even in its weakest link we still gave it a respectable grade of B- for short-term care. Our short-term care grades are vital for residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients that returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 2.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Whispering Oaks Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Whispering Oaks, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percent of long-term care residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Whispering Oaks, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that suffered a fall which caused major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Whispering Oaks, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients who sustained urinary tract infections. While more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Whispering Oaks, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Whispering Oaks, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Whispering Oaks, 2.33% of Patients
This is the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Whispering Oaks, 94.94% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Whispering Oaks, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and continence. Some experts would argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Whispering Oaks, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Whispering Oaks, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Whispering Oaks, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Whispering Oaks, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Whispering Oaks, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living typically correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Tampa, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Tampa, Florida has 17 other nursing homes
- Tampa General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.48 miles away1 Tampa General Cir Tampa Florida 33606Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 844-7000
- Adventhealth CarrollwoodAcute Care Hospitals 4.26 miles away7171 N Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa Florida 33614Voluntary non-profit - Church(813) 932-2222
- Memorial Hospital of TampaAcute Care Hospitals 4.47 miles away2901 W Swann Ave Tampa Florida 33609Proprietary(813) 873-6400
- Adventhealth TampaAcute Care Hospitals 5.91 miles away3100 E Fletcher Ave Tampa Florida 33613Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 615-7200
- Brandon Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.96 miles away119 Oakfield Dr Brandon Florida 33511Proprietary(813) 681-5551
- Adventhealth Wesley ChapelAcute Care Hospitals 15.5 miles away2600 Bruce B Downs Blvd Wesley Chapel Florida 33544Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 929-5490
- Mease Countryside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.7 miles away3231 Mcmullen Booth Rd Safety Harbor Florida 34695Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 734-6950
- North Tampa Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 16.75 miles away29910 Sr 56 Wesley Chapel Florida 33543Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 333-0000
- Fmc - Ybor City0.95 miles away2525 E. Hillsborough Ave Suite 209 Tampa Florida 33610CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (813) 231-6859
- East Tampa Dialysis1.62 miles away1701 E 9th Avenue Tampa Florida 33605CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (813) 247-1820
- Tampa Bay Dialysis2.53 miles away2301 W Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Tampa Florida 33604Dialysis Stations: 24 (813) 876-7023
- Dsi - Tampa Central2.58 miles away4705 N Armenia Ave Tampa Florida 33603CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (813) 353-8100
- Tampa General Hospital Esrd3.15 miles awayPediatric Dialysis 1 Tampa General Circle Tampa Florida 33601Dialysis Stations: 7 (813) 844-4210
- Greater Tampa at Home3.21 miles away4204 N. Mac Dill Ave North Bldg. Suite 1 Tampa Florida 33607Dialysis Stations: 4 (813) 872-8216
- Central Tampa Dialysis3.21 miles away4204 N Macdill Ave South Bldg Tampa Florida 33607CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (813) 871-3202
- Kennedy Boulevard Dialysis3.76 miles away2205 W Kennedy Blvd Tampa Florida 33606Dialysis Stations: 20 (813) 254-3638