Whetstone Gardens and Care Center is a large nursing home in Columbus, Ohio. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B-. A score of this caliber requires some decent marks. Based on all of the relevant data, there are definitely much worse places out there. The best part of this place's profile was its stellar inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Whetstone Gardens and Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
3710 Olentangy River Road,
Columbus OH 43214
77.99% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was decent, it really fared well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this category tend to have few severe deficiencies. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few relatively minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's higher category grades came in the category of short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B. In our short-term care rating, we attempt to craft a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess the facility's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who returned home from the facility. We found that 5.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Whetstone Gardens and Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's third most favorable category ended up being long-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a C. In the area of long-term care, we assess the amount of care provided by a facility, rather than more medically-intensive services. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to find that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The last category we graded was nursing. We gave this nursing home a grade of D in nursing, rendering this the facility's worst area. The nursing rating assesses quite a few factors, most of which are tied to nursing hours. This nursing home provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Whetstone Gardens and Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Whetstone Gardens and Care Center, 7.3% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Whetstone Gardens and Care Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Whetstone Gardens and Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Whetstone Gardens and Care Center, 12.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term stay patients that were given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Whetstone Gardens and Care Center, 21.99% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Whetstone Gardens and Care Center, 21.39% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Whetstone Gardens and Care Center, 88.91% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Whetstone Gardens and Care Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Whetstone Gardens and Care Center, 12.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels. Some argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Whetstone Gardens and Care Center, 1.43 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Whetstone Gardens and Care Center, 12.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Whetstone Gardens and Care Center, 12.98 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Whetstone Gardens and Care Center, 75.85% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Columbus, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Columbus, Ohio has 16 other nursing homes
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.28 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 2.94 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 5.44 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.62 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 5.75 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Nationwide Children's HospitalChildrens 6.4 miles away700 Children's Drive Columbus Ohio 43205Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 722-2000
- Mount Carmel St Ann'sAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away500 South Cleveland Avenue Westerville Ohio 43081Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 898-4000
- Doctors HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.06 miles away5100 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43228Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 544-1000
- Davita - Columbus Dialysis0.92 miles away226 Graceland Blvd. - Suite 3-09a Columbus Ohio 43214CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (614) 985-1732
- Bio-Medical Applications of Ohio, Inc.1.67 miles away758 Communications Parkway Columbus Ohio 43217Dialysis Stations: 12 (614) 538-1060
- Fmc-Campus Kidney Dialysis Center2.78 miles away1791 Kenny Rd. Columbus Ohio 43210Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 487-9750
- Fmc - Central Ohio3.33 miles away4661 Karl Road Columbus Ohio 43229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 840-0012
- Davita Minerva Park Dialysis4.46 miles away4401 Cleveland Avenue Columbus Ohio 43224Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 478-9604
- Kidney Center of Columbus North4.48 miles away5700 Karl Road Columbus Ohio 43229Dialysis Stations: 7 (614) 846-9722
- Fmc - Clayton Taylor5.31 miles away730 Taylor Avenue Columbus Ohio 43219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (614) 258-5898
- Fmc - Mt. Carmel West5.43 miles away745 West State St Suite 660 Columbus Ohio 43222Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 224-2344