Winchester Gardens is the lone nursing home we were able to find in Maplewood, New Jersey. This is an A+ rated facility, which is the best score we offer. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top five percentile of all nursing homes in the nation. As you can find below, this facility performed equally well in our category ratings. We give this place two thumbs up!
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We also found that this facility excelled in our short-term care rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Our short-term care grades are arguably most critical for those requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the number of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
This facility also received an A+ inspection grade, making it one of the rare places to receive multiple A+'s in our category grades. This is based on the place's inspection reports. An A+ in this area is one of the highest complements we can pay to a nursing home. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are relatively minor. It doesn't look like we have deficiency data for this facility. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Winchester Gardens?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing score includes several datapoints. The most important factor is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This nursing home provides 0.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The fourth area we scored was long-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of A-. This rounded out a first-rate report card. Not many facilities received an A- or better in every category. When facilities receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is typically a good sign for resident care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 96.296295 percent of its patients, which is better than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Winchester Gardens Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Winchester Gardens, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Winchester Gardens, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who suffered falls which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Winchester Gardens, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Winchester Gardens, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Winchester Gardens, 5.95% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Winchester Gardens, 91.97% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Winchester Gardens, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Winchester Gardens, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.47 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.83 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.4 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.46 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.24 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.27 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 8.36 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.46 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- Fmc Irvington0.58 miles away10 Camptown Road Irvington New Jersey 07111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (973) 399-1111
- Alaris Health at Essex0.68 miles away155-40th Street Irvington New Jersey 07111Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 371-2155
- Davita Irvington Dialysis1.31 miles away468 Chancellor Avenue Suite Ws-3 Irvington New Jersey 07111Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 373-0294
- Fmc Maplewood Dialysis Center1.44 miles away2130 Milburn Avenue Suite b1 Maplewood New Jersey 07040Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 275-5499
- Davita Millburn Dialysis2.74 miles away25 East Willow Street Ste 2 Millburn New Jersey 07041CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 379-7309
- Fmc Hillside Dialysis Ctr2.8 miles away879 Rahway Avenue Ruth Kliman Dialysis Center Union New Jersey 07083Dialysis Stations: 32 (908) 964-5606
- Fmc Orange Dc2.85 miles away258 Central Ave Orange New Jersey 07050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (973) 675-3400
- Ea Orange Gen Hospital2.86 miles away310 Central Avenue Medical Arts Building - Dialysis Unit East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (973) 395-4035