Winchester Gardens is the lone nursing home we were able to find in Maplewood, New Jersey. This is an A+ rated facility, which is the best score we offer. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we rated it as one of the top 10 facilities in New Jersey. As you can find below, this facility performed equally well in our category ratings. We give this place two thumbs up!
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Maplewood senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to point out that this nursing home excelled in our nursing score. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. When determining our nursing grades, we weigh both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This exemplary nursing home also performed well in the area of short-term care, where it received a grade of A+. Only a small group of nursing homes fared better in this category. Short-term care grades are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a vast range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Winchester Gardens?
Continuing with its amazing performance, this facility also earned an A+ inspection rating. This is based on its recent inspection reports. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively minor. It does not appear that we have deficiency data for this facility. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the next area, this nursing home was given a high-end long-term care rating. We gave it a grade of A in that category, giving this facility straight A's. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are well cared for. One of the factors we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. This is a reliable method to minimize negative health outcomes for the aged 65 and up population. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Winchester Gardens Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Winchester Gardens, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Winchester Gardens, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents which have experienced falls leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Winchester Gardens, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Winchester Gardens, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Winchester Gardens, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients which were administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Winchester Gardens, 6.37% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Winchester Gardens, 89.73% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Winchester Gardens, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Winchester Gardens, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.47 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.83 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.4 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.46 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.24 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.27 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 8.36 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.46 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- Fmc Irvington0.58 miles away10 Camptown Road Irvington New Jersey 07111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (973) 399-1111
- Alaris Health at Essex0.68 miles away155-40th Street Irvington New Jersey 07111Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 371-2155
- Davita Irvington Dialysis1.31 miles away468 Chancellor Avenue Suite Ws-3 Irvington New Jersey 07111Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 373-0294
- Fmc Maplewood Dialysis Center1.44 miles away2130 Milburn Avenue Suite b1 Maplewood New Jersey 07040Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 275-5499
- Davita Millburn Dialysis2.74 miles away25 East Willow Street Ste 2 Millburn New Jersey 07041CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 379-7309
- Fmc Hillside Dialysis Ctr2.8 miles away879 Rahway Avenue Ruth Kliman Dialysis Center Union New Jersey 07083Dialysis Stations: 32 (908) 964-5606
- Fmc Orange Dc2.85 miles away258 Central Ave Orange New Jersey 07050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (973) 675-3400
- Ea Orange Gen Hospital2.86 miles away310 Central Avenue Medical Arts Building - Dialysis Unit East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (973) 395-4035